Monday, April 30, 2012

DIY Gift Card Idea

April showers bring... well, they might bring May flowers, but they also bring a whole lot of frustration when I am yet again struggling to come up with a gift idea! Springtime tends to be filled with wedding showers, as everyone prepares for their summer weddings, and if you're like me, choosing the perfect gift can be a challenge. 

You want to get something the bride will use, but also something she will enjoy. The easy (and obvious) choice is to go with something off the registry or get a gift card. But I want my gift to be original, have that personal touch... and if it's not too expensive, as well, that would be great. 

My baby sister's wedding shower was last weekend, and I was racking my brain about what to get her. I had, of course, waited till the last minute to buy a gift, and I couldn't think of anything that seemed right for this unique and fun couple. 

I knew I wanted to give her something pretty, something personal, and something practical.
And then, because I'm a sucker for alliteration, inspiration struck.

What follows is the world's lamest tutorial...
In fact, it's really more of a before and after, since I didn't actually take any pictures of the process. The best part about this project (besides the fact that it was easy, fast, and cute) is that it is totally adaptable. I did a wedding theme, but you could totally make it for a baby shower, teacher appreciation, or birthday!

I started with this:

inexpensive Target 3-photo frame
Victoria's Secret gift card (something pretty)
Target gift card (something practical)
scrapbook paper

I had to go scrounge in Caitlin's room for the glitter and Mod Podge.



And, with the help of my printer and a cute graphic from The Graphics Fairy, I wound up with this:

The perfect combination of all my gift-giving requirements! 



Something pretty (Victoria's Secret Gift Card)? Check.

Something personal (the bride and groom's initials)? Check.


Something practical (Target gift card)? Check.



Fold it carefully in some sweet tissue,




add some pretty wrapping paper (left over from Christmas), 


and some fancy trimmings and we're good to go. Added bonus: the package decorations double as a very bridal hair accessory, which my sister promptly donned.



The flower is a headband from Claire's, and the tulle/feather was left-over from a "fascinator" I wore to a  royal wedding party!


All in all, I thought it was a pretty successful little project! My sister loved it, and since there's no Victoria's Secret in her town, she'll have to come and visit me when she spends the gift card (very clever of me, no?). 


My grandma, my mama, my baby sis (the beautiful bride), my younger sis, my niece, my Caitlin, and me! I'm so lucky to have all these beautiful and amazing ladies in my family!


6 comments:

  1. that is such a sweet and personal way to give a gift card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It helps that the gift cards, themselves, are even pretty these days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a clever and cute gift idea! I'm always trying to think of fun ways to give gift cards. I love this one! Thanks so much for sharing, Jessie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a very cute idea! perfect..
    Lina

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate every one of your comments. Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know what you think.