Sunday, May 6, 2012

Lemon Dream {Cup} Cake

I love lemon.
I love cream cheese.
Put lemon flavor in just about anything, and it's a winner in my book,
 but top it off with cream cheese frosting and I've died and gone to heaven.



This cake is like eating sunshine.
It's dense and flavorful, and packed with lemony-goodness, through and through. 

I got this recipe from my Aunt Deb several years ago, and it has been a family favorite ever since. 
Caitlin asks for it for every birthday (this year, we changed it up a bit and added blueberries, though). 

It's the perfect treat for springtime events, like Mother's Day or Easter brunch, showers, and grad parties.




I usually do the 3-layer version seen here, but for a recent potluck party, I went with cupcakes.
Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you: 

Lemon Dream {Cup} Cake

(With oh-my-lord-i'm-gonna-die-of-happiness-cream-cheese-frosting)



The cake, itself, couldn't be easier. It's just 3 ingredients.
1 box lemon cake mix, 4 eggs, and 1 can of lemon pie filling.



Mix the cake mix and eggs together until they are light and fluffy.





Fold in the lemon pie filling.
Once it is all incorporated you can spoon it into the lined cupcake pans.
Or if you are making a cake, place the batter into 3 round greased and floured cake pans.

Either way, bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.




Cool completely before frosting.

For the frosting: 

Now, this is what makes this recipe over-the-top delicious.


2- 8 oz. bricks of cream cheese (softened to room temp.)
3/4 c. of butter
4 c. powder sugar
1 tsp. grated lemon zest
1 tsp. lemon extract
1/2 tsp. vanilla


The amounts indicated here are enough to generously frost a 3-layer cake. 
You can easily cut this in half for the cupcakes. 
I had a ton left, even after frosting 24 cupcakes with a heavy hand. 
Of course, you could just make this amount and eat the leftovers with a spoon freeze whatever is left.




Cream the cream cheese and butter together until fluffy.




Add the powdered sugar, 1 cup at time, mixing on low.
Stir in remaining ingredients.
Refrigerate for 30 minutes before frosting, and it will spread much easier.



There they are, in all their glory. 
Warning:
After tasting these cupcakes, you may be unable to concentrate on day-to-day life,
 since you will be so busy dreaming about their tangy-sweet perfection. 
Don't say I didn't warn you.
Enjoy!


I'm linking up here:

Skip To My Lou



6 comments:

  1. Uh, yum! I agree, anything lemon is perfect. Add cream cheese and I'm a happy girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will love these then, Becky! They don't last long at our house!

      Delete
  2. Looks super-yummy! I'm a big fan of lemon and of cupcakes. ;-)
    ~FringeGirl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too... In fact, I've never met a cupcake I didn't like! Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  3. stumbled onto your blog via the blog hop and just wanted to leave you a little blog luv! Def enjoyed this post!! New Follower via email :-)

    http://infinitelifefitness.com
    http://mscomposure.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I'll be sure to send a little blog luv your way, as well! :)

      Delete

I read and appreciate every one of your comments. Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know what you think.