Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Tuesday Randomness and My Adventures in {Mis}Painting

The week after a holiday weekend always seems a little disjointed, and this week is no exception. It feels even more odd given the fact that Chris worked all weekend and then had Monday off. But we are trying to maintain some semblance of our routine, although it is hectic at the end of the school year. It promises to be another busy week. The kids only have 7 days of school left, and they each have field trips (at least one of which I get to chaperone) and end-of-year concerts this week. Caitlin has a soccer tournament, and they both have practice on different nights. 

My Memorial weekend started early. I took last Thursday off from reality, and spent the entire day shopping and dining with one of my oldest and dearest friends. We went to the Mall of America to see the Princess Diana exhibit. We are both avid royal-watchers, so this was a must-see event for us.

The exhibit was amazing. Diana's wedding dress was the star of the show, obviously, but there were also mementos from her childhood and many of the beautiful and familiar dresses we've seen in photographs over the years.
The rest of my Memorial weekend was pretty laid-back. I cleaned and prepped for my master bedroom makeover on Friday and went to a birthday party for my nephew on Saturday. 
{I have a cute gift tutorial coming soon related to this!}
On Saturday night, I took the kids to see Men In Black III. I almost didn't, since it was PG13. But they've seen the first two movies, and this was no worse. It was a bit violent, but no more so than Star Wars or Indiana Jones, and there was some colorful language, but nothing they've not heard at home {oops!}.
And it had Will Smith. Cute and funny. End of discussion.

Sunday and Monday was more cleaning and lots of painting. Here's where it gets interesting. 
This is one of the "before" pictures I took of my bedroom. As you can see, most of my furniture is black. Part of my plan was to paint it white, knowing it would be tedious and take quite a bit of time, I tackled it first, just to get it out of the way. 
Now, I've painted a lot of furniture in the past. I have learned the hard way not to cut corners. I always remove the hardware, sand, prime, and paint. And I always, always wait till everything is dry before reassembling. Always.
Except for last night.
See that black dresser on the right? It's older than dirt, and not in very good condition, and it took a LOT of paint to cover the black. I was tired, my bed was covered in clothes and I wanted to just be done. So I put the drawers back in before it was fully dry.
This morning {as with most mornings} I wanted to get dressed. However, I could not open my dresser drawers. That's right, friends, I painted my dresser shut. 
Sigh.
So today, rather than starting on the walls, I will be prying my drawers open with a utility knife and attempting to repair the damage done by my lazy attempt to save time.

Wish me luck!



2 comments:

  1. Uh, oh. Best of luck on your dresser. I've had my share of painting mishaps too. I think it's live and learn when it comes to paint. I would love to go to a Princess Di exhibit. I remember watching her wedding as a little kid. I was always in awe of her.
    ~FringeGirl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I need a new dresser anyway... maybe this is the universe's way of telling me it's time. I just need to get my clothes out! The exhibit was really fun. It was kind of surreal to stand next to that iconic dress. Probably the closest I'll ever get to royalty!

      Delete

I read and appreciate every one of your comments. Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know what you think.