Wednesday, May 9, 2012

What I Wore: The Graduation Edition



Hello, and welcome again to another edition of What I Wore!

Now, you may be asking yourself, "Why, exactly, does this woman document her clothing choices?"
Trust me, you are not alone in this question. My husband asks me the same thing every week.
I do it for two reasons: 
because it helps keep me motivated to get out of my sweats and pjs, 
and because it helps me see what worked, and what didn't. 
{See outfit #1 in this post for a demonstration of what didn't work. Yikes}. 


Ok, in theory this is a fine outfit for a lazy day. It's comfy. It's safe. 
But for some reason, I was compelled to turn my jeans into pseudo-capris. 
And it just looks weird. Note to self: invest in capris.

Cardi: Target
Cami: Shade Clothing {I wear these camis under everything}
Jeans: Silver {My favorites}


It was a banner week here in the Ruhl household. 
On Saturday, I received a Master's degree in English, 
with an emphasis on Teaching English as a Second Language.

I can't say that the traditional gown, hood, and mortarboard cap are exactly flattering; 
Trying to get a decent family photo is always challenging,
 but I thought we had succeeded with this one. 
That is, until I noticed Hunter's crossed eyes.
{Note: his eyes are not actually crossed. He's just a brat} 
He did that in every single picture, the whole day. Charming child.

So here's what I wore underneath the polyester tent:
I wanted to be comfortable, as it was going to be a long day, and this dress fit the bill perfectly.
It's a stretchy jersey... but here's the clincher.
It has pockets. 
I was able to easily carry bobby pins to secure my cap and lipgloss to touch up for pictures.
Genius, I tell you.


Dress: Shade Clothing
Cardi and Belt: Target
Shoes and Chunky Pearl Necklace: Macy's
Idiotic Grin: Oh, that's all me, baby.

Finally, here is my first attempt to translate some of my favorite Pinterest outfits to real life.


Scarf: Old Navy
Tee: Old Navy
Cami: Shade Clothing
Jeans: Silver
Flips: Reef {super old, but I love 'em}

I'm going to continue to try and adapt outfits from Pinterest by using things I already have in my closet. 
I'd love to hear what you think of my attempts!
Thanks for stopping by!

I'm linking up 
here:

pleated poppy

and here:

Momma Go Round

24 comments:

  1. Wow, congratulations!!! That is something to really be proud of. You look great, too. I actually like the jeans rolled :)

    emily@remodelingthislife.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was a fun day and I'm happy to be done! :)

      Delete
  2. Congrats! The cap and gown look good on you. ;-)

    Great outfits, even #1. I actually like it.
    ~FringeGirl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I tried to justify the rolled jeans since I live in Minnesota, the weather is very changeable, etc... but I just need to break down and buy some capris!

      Delete
  3. NOT idiotic grin! CONGRATS - lots to grin about!! You are funny!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I felt pretty silly after the 30th group photo! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on your big accomplishment!!

    ~Christy (http://www.christyBphotography.com/blog)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! And thanks for stopping to check out my blog! :)

      Delete
  5. Congrats!! Loving the sophisticated look of the Shade dress.
    Creamy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love that dress, it's very forgiving and super-comfy!

      Delete
  6. congratulations!! I love your grey dress! and love your pinterest recreation - looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katie! That was probably the most accurate Pinterest recreation I'll be able to do... the future ones might take a bit more imagination! :)

      Delete
  7. Hi I am your newest follower Congratulations on your Masters that is a great accomplishment. Love each of your outfits and job well done on the pinterest recreation. Surfed here from the Pleated Poppy btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and welcome! I'm so glad you stopped by! Thanks for the kudos, as well! :)

      Delete
  8. Congratulations!!! I know it's a great feeling to graduate.

    I love turning a Pinterest outfit into reality!! Yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ashley! And thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  9. I love your pinterest recreation. I like it better with the longer jeans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, April! I like 'em better that way, too ;-)

      Delete
  10. WOW! Congratulations!!!! you look fabulous darling in your cap and gown. . . also love that dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa! And thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  11. Congrats you look great! I hope you'll stop by and add this and any other posts you're proud of to my Wednesday What We Wore, Read, and Made Link party

    marissa

    http://raegunwear.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the invite Marissa! I'll definitely check it out! :)

      Delete
  12. Hi Jessie! After perusing a few of your posts, it's clear that we have a lot in common and I'm now following you, too! I'm definitely going to make those lemon cupcakes... they sound sooo good! So far I'm loving "Death Comes to Pemberley." What are you reading now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm currently reading "In the Garden of Beasts" by Erik Larson. It's a novelistic history of the American ambassador to Germany in the 1930s. It's very interesting, but a bit slow, so I've been picking away at it for some time. I will have to compile a list of my intended summer reads as a post soon. I'll definitely be checking your blog for good recommendations!

      Delete

I read and appreciate every one of your comments. Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know what you think.