Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Fresh Tomato Sauce with Mint and Oregano


This recipe speaks summer to me. It whispers of warm, golden afternoons by the lake. It echoes of eating dinner on the deck. It sings of sweet, gentle breezes. 
This, my friends, is poetry in a bowl.
And it is so easy to make.
I think I found this recipe in Taste of Home years ago, but I have modified it a bit from the original.
The key is fresh ingredients.


Or not. 
It is a very forgiving dish if you have to make do with what's on hand. 
And that is how I roll most of the time. 

Here's what you will need:

  • 1 tsp. finely chopped garlic
  • 2 Tbsp. finely chopped shallots {I substitute plain ol' onion all the time}
  • 1 tsp. roughly chopped fresh mint
  • 1 tsp. roughly chopped fresh oregano {I forgot to buy fresh oregano, so I used dried oregano in this version, and it was just fine}
  • 4 cups roughly chopped red, yellow, and orange tomatoes {about 4} {You can use whatever color you like, but it's prettier with different colors}
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. pepper
  • 2 Tablespoons olive oil
  • 3/4 pound tagiatelle pasta {I use whatever kind of pasta I have in the pantry. In today's version, it was bow ties}
  • Grated parmesan 
Prep Tip: Wash and chop all your herbs and vegetables in the order listed. Only rinse the cutting board after everything is done.
Disclaimer: These are not pretty pictures. This dish is usually quite lovely. Despite the fact that my sauce looks more like soup than anything, it still tasted divine. And I have an excellent excuse. I am lazy. 
Rather than chopping all the vegetables, I ran them all through my food processor {which I only recently got, and am still enamored of. I am also rather unfamiliar with its abilities}. Instead of chopping my tomatoes, it sliced them. And everything turned rather soupy after that... oops. Moving on.

Combine everything in a large bowl and let it sit for at least 15 minutes.
Prepare the pasta according to package directions, drain, and toss with the tomato mixture. Sprinkle a bit more salt and pepper on top, drizzle with a smudge more olive oil, toss on some parmesan, and serve.
Add a crisp salad, some crunchy bread, and you've got the perfect summer time meal.

Bon app├ętit!

I'm linking up with Toni at A Bowl Full of Lemons for her



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read and appreciate every one of your comments. Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know what you think.