Thursday, June 21, 2012

Master Bedroom Reveal




My master bedroom has been 95% done for the last two weeks, but I have been dragging my feet with finishing it. I blame a slight case of project-ADD. That's where I start a project, am all gung-ho about it for a brief while, then I get bored before finishing it and move on to something else. 
But it's finally done(-ish).

Here's a quick look back at where we started.


Blech. Boring blue walls, dark furniture, snooze-worthy window coverings, and bedding as old as my marriage. {True story; we got it as a wedding gift. In 1999.} Not to mention the obvious mess that dominated our decor. This room was just a dumping ground, where every bit of clutter without a home went to die. 
I'd had enough.
I wanted clean. I wanted warm. I wanted tranquility.
{Warning: Picture overload ahead.}
Much better.
The long, rectangular shape of the room makes furniture arrangement a challenge, so we kept the same configuration, but overall the room just feels bigger.
 I went with the Nester's old favorite paint color, Tobacco Road, on the walls. It still is my favorite paint color, and I currently have it in my living room, hallways (upstairs and down), upstairs bathroom, and now my bedroom. I would like to do our family room in Tobacco Road too...would that be overkill? Actually, I don't know if I care. I lurrrve it.
 I let Chris hang the TV unsupervised, and it wound up being about a foot higher than I would have liked. But I refrained from saying anything too much about it. 

 I think the mirror above the bed is only temporary. I have a big wooden monogram on order from Etsy that I would like to hang in its place. 
Or I may just leave it like this indefinitely while I waffle back and forth over which way I like it better. 
 There are "his and hers" closets on this end of the room. To be honest, though, they are more like "hers and hers." Poor Chris gets about 1/4 of one of the closets. 

Someday, I would love to replace the "boob" ceiling lights with pretty chandeliers, but they work for now.
I am so happy to have my room organized and back together after living with a mess for so long. It's just icing on the cake that it is pretty, too!
I would be happy to answer source questions if you're interested. Just let me know in the comments.


Photobucket
I'll be linking up here:
The Shabby NestMy Romantic Home,
A Bowl Full of Lemons, Southern Lovely,
At the Picket Fence

49 comments:

  1. Love, Love, LOVE! Looks so cozy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Cozy is the perfect way to describe how it feels now. I'm glad you like it!

      Delete
  2. Oh, wow! You ARE good. It's so lovely. It's like a page out of a magazine. Looks like a completely different space. I love it. Very, very, very nice.
    ~FringGirl

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great Jess! I love it! Now you can come help this hopelessly terrible decorator! My house is so blah!
    Great pic under the TV! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Becky! I love that photo... We have an amazing photographer! She's great! ;)

      Delete
  4. I love redo's. And this one is great! I think the picture under the tv looks like you planned that. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, no... I was scrambling to find something to fill in the gap under the TV and, fortunately, our family picture fit perfectly. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Great before and after! Our master bedroom is hilariously awful. Can't wait to get started on it...thanks for this inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it! Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. A is for 'awesome' ... great job Jess ... I can see it now: new DIY show starring Jessica Ruhl! (my bedroom is the same way and don't have time) so proud of you for finishing!! I think you have a committment to finishing when you 'blog' it ...how can you back down then! and I too love the Tobacco Road! great choice! enjoy your 'new space' ...may be like a 'honeymoon' ... lol!! Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cheryl! I'm happy to have it done. Now it's on to the next project!

      Delete
  7. Very pretty, light and airy. I too just painted all my bedroom furniture white. It does make the room seem more open. Not quite done yet so haven't done my reveal. Still have to paint the walls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carolyn! I can't wait to see what your finished room looks like! Looking forward to the reveal!

      Delete
  8. Beautiful bedroom! Found you through The Pleated Poppy's WIWW link. Great blog!
    -Rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rachel! I'm so glad you stopped by! :)

      Delete
  9. Wow, that's gorgeous! Everything's so inviting and I love the colors you chose. It looks like something out of a magazine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lindsay. That is so sweet! Choosing colors was the hardest part, but I am happy with how it turned out. :)

      Delete
  10. I really love the way you have arrange your room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm so happy you liked it. :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  11. Your are an ispiration! Loving your blog. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jess, did you paint the furniture or buy new? Love it. Love your blog:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Painted all of it. The dresser was Chris' childhood dresser, the desk was a garage sale find, the armoire is a Tar-jay special, and the bedside tables were "furniture-in-a-box" laminate. :) No antiques or high quality pieces here, lol! But they all look nicer with a bit of white paint. Here's to hoping they won't show so much dust now that they are no longer black!

      Delete
  13. What a beautiful room. You did a fabulous job! Love your bed linens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The toile is from Pottery Barn. I've had my eye on it forever, and it is even prettier in real life than in the catalogue.

      Delete
  14. I love everything about this room! You did great! Where did you find the gigantic framed mirror?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The mirror is from Ikea. They have it in black and a metallic finish as well.

      Delete
  15. Very nice! I love the color scheme you chose. I thought I was the only one that thought the lights looked like boobs too!? Haha. I have them in my house as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The worst part is there are two boob lights, one on either side of the bed... so it's a very "mammary" view!

      Delete
  16. HOLY COW, WOMAN....this is pure awesomeness. I love it all and your wall color IS amazing. You did a KILLER job here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It was, overall, a fun project and long overdue!

      Delete
  17. Hey, I am thinking I'd better follow you to see what other CUTENESS you come up with. :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! There's always more cuteness in the pipeline! :)

      Delete
  18. love it, can i come and stay in it? just kidding but i love the colors the bed everything. ang

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a beautiful transformation. Great job...Connie

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fabulous transformation! It's so beautiful!

    Cathy ♥

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a fabulous make over! Your new room is so lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's beautiful! Where did you get the topiaries? Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I got the topiaries years ago at Target. In a stroke of luck, I found them on an end cap, clearanced out at 50% off. It was my lucky day, and they've been put to good use every since!

      Delete
  23. What a beautiful transformation. I love the vintage and dreamy feel you gave this room. Perfect!

    Raj
    Pink Chai Style

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Raj! Vintage and dreamy was the vibe I was going for, so I'm glad it comes across that way.

      Delete
  24. I chuckled at your "boob" light fixture! I've had some of those!! It turned out fabulous! Thanks for sharing at Show & Share! Featuring this tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the feature! I'm thrilled!! :)

      Delete
  25. Hi! Found you through your Vintage Gwen feature! Love love your master!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love this room. Where did you get the blue and yellow/cream quilt on the bed? I have been looking high and low for something just like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it! The quilt is from Pottery Barn. It's the "Matine Toile." It reads kind of yellowish in the photos, but is definitely cream/blue in real life.

      Delete
  27. It's as pretty on line as it is in person!! FAB! Mom xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate every one of your comments. Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know what you think.