Thursday, June 14, 2012

My Summer Mantels





I tend to have a love/hate relationship with mantel decorating. I love to change my mantel decor for each season, but I stress about actually doing it. This may have something to do with the fact that we have 3 mantels in this house. There's a 2-sided fireplace on the main floor, with one side in the living room and one in the kitchen/dining room, and there's a fireplace in the basement family room. Normally, I don't do anything with the basement mantel, since that is home of the dreaded TV-over-the-fireplace. I put a garland up at Christmas and call it good. But the other two, they change on a regular basis.

I decided to go with a pared-down version of my usual mantel decor for summer. In the fall, I load up with garland, pumpkins, and various other tchotchkes, but I wanted summer to feel clean and simple.

The kitchen mantel got a "beach" themed makeover.



I stole the plates from my kitchen cupboard, the mirror from our front entry, and the pitcher from a vignette on my buffet. So now my mantel is all pretty, but three other areas of my home are missing things!




The living room mantel has a "country/farm" thing going on.



The color is a little wonky in these photos; the barn picture is a more subdued shade of red in person.



I made the chalkboard out of a Goodwill/Home Interior painting, and my daughter has never forgiven me for covering up the original image of doves ascending through clouds, but I think I like it better like this! 

I have a confession to make. I spent forever editing these photos in PicMonkey last night, only to discover this morning that I had spelled "mantel" wrong in every one. So I had to start over. Doh!

Hope you enjoyed checking out my summer mantels {not mantles}.
Photobucket
I will be linking up here:



The Shabby Nest





19 comments:

  1. I LOVE that you have a kitchen mantel! Lucky! They both look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shelby! The fireplace is horribly inefficient, so we don't actually use it. But it's fun to decorate around it!

      Delete
  2. Oh I have the exact same love/hate relationship with my mantels!! :-) Those long expanses of wood just stare mockingly at me. LOL! Yours look so fantastic though and you gave me some great ideas. Your blog is wonderful and we are so thrilled that you linked up to Inspiration Friday this week!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vanessa. That's exactly how I feel about my mantels, lol. It's really sweet of you to stop by!

      Delete
  3. Hi, Jessie! Your coastal decor is too cute! I love your style, so with that said, I'm your newest follower! Please stop by bellanest.blogspot.com any time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Holly! Thanks for stopping by. I will definitely be checking out your blog as well. :)

      Delete
  4. Your mantels look great! I love a double sided fireplace. How dreamy to have one in your kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carmel! I wish we could actually use it, but it is really inefficient. We need to get it fitted with some new doors. Someday... :) For now, we fill it up with candles, and that works pretty well as a fire-substitute.

      Delete
  5. Gloriously expert position. I merely bumbled upon your post and desired to articulate that I have really relished understanding your blog articles. gaskachel

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you did you mantle by taking things from other places...I call that "home shopping"...it all looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both mantles look lovely. I also borrow from other areas LOL. I'm a happy follower. Visiting from Layla's party.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks gorgeous! I love the whole beachy type look.

    ~FringeGirl

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi - I'm visiting from Layla's summer mantel link party.

    I love each of your mantels, but especially the one with the blue and white willow dinnerware - I have a set myself - I might have to steal your idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan! I love the classic look of willow-ware style dishes; on the table, on the wall, or on the mantel!

      Delete
  10. "Mantel" and "mantle" confuse me too, but either way, we know what you're talking about! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Yeah, I'm embarrassed to admit that I still get it mixed up!

      Delete
  11. I am so inspired my your mantel :) The colors remind me of Cape Cod. And no worries on the mantel/mantle....who cares when it's so wonderful!

    Have an awesome day!

    blessings,
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I should call it the Midwestern Cape Cod mantel :)

      Delete

I read and appreciate every one of your comments. Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know what you think.