Thursday, July 26, 2012

Step Up the Cute: DIY Ikea Stool Makeover


To paraphrase William Morris, I try to only have things in my home which I know to be useful or believe to be beautiful. But in an ideal world, I would have a combination of both.

Guess which category this stool fell under?
It's the Bekvam step-stool from Ikea. We've had it for years: it's sturdy as can be and stands up to all manner of abuse. And, at $14.99, it was a heckuva bargain. Useful: yes. But it left a little something to be desired in the way of beauty. 
In a fit of ambition, I decided to give it a makeover and "step up the cute." 
{feel free to throw tomatoes when I make lame puns}

I started by giving the stool two coats of a fun mustard yellow paint, French Pale Gold by Behr.
That, in itself, was an improvement and I was tempted to stop there. But I can never leave things well enough alone, so I kept going.
I chose an image from The Graphics Fairy and applied it using a simple technique.
{I used the same basic method for my Custom Canvas Word Art 
and for the wall quote in the Harry Potter Hideaway}
1. Print out your desired image. I've learned through experience that simpler fonts are better.
2. Scribble with pencil on the back of the image, covering it completely.
3. Place the image on the surface to be painted and trace the entire thing in pencil.
4. Remove the printed image and double check that everything is fully transferred and straight.
5. Using a fine-tip brush, paint over the pencil outline.
6. Add details/highlights, if desired. I also sanded lightly over the image to rough it up a bit. 

I'm no calligrapher, so this method works best for me, and it's pretty easy to do.
Now I can enjoy the best of both worlds: beauty and usefulness.
Okay, maybe beautiful is a bit of a stretch, but it's definitely cute!
 Hope you enjoyed this little project. Let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks for stopping by!
Photobucket

I'll be linking up here:
A Bowl Full of Lemons: One Project at a Time
The Shabby Nest
At The Picket Fence: Inspiration Friday
My Romantic Home: Show and Tell Friday
Miss Mustard Seed: Furniture Feature Fridays



14 comments:

  1. Great makeover, love the color and the numbers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! My kids keep asking why the stool says "no". Lol, I had to explain that it was an abbreviation for number... which just led to more questions {why, why, why!}. And here I chose it because it looked easy! :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. That's a fantastic idea. Opens up a whole world of possibilities for inexpensive and plain items found at box stores to be recreated. Thanks for sharing your how-to!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liz, Thanks for stopping by and I'm glad you liked my project!

      Delete
  3. reminds me of the little stool I painted this spring ~ lime green ~ and I love the hydrangeas ... I just picked some tonite! and beautiful pitcher ~~ wink wink..... happy weekend! just me...........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the pitcher, too! It's one of my favorite pieces ;-)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks! It's a bolder color than I usually go for, so I thought I'd better start with something small. I like it a lot, though, so there may be bigger projects in the future.

      Delete
  5. LOVE how inexpensive, simple, and cute this makeover is! I also love the canary yellow :)

    ~Melinda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melinda! I'm so glad you liked it. It adds a fun, bright spot in my kitchen now. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. What a cheerful transformation! Im swooning over this color!I Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super cute transformation...I can't live without a stool in every room so why not make pretty!!! Hopped over from MMS and I'm happy to be your newest follower. Would love to have you stop by for a visit! Blessings ~ Judy @ http://www.vintagestreetdesigns.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a wood garage sale stool, that still has the 2 dollar sticker on it. I keep thinking about how to paint it. I am going to "steal" your idea. I have some great ASCP, Annie Sloan's Chalk Paint, that I may try! Thanks of the great ideas.
    beth@secondhandmom.com

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate every one of your comments. Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know what you think.