Sunday, August 12, 2012

Going for the Gold

I blame the Olympics.
My house has been consumed with gold-fever over the last two weeks.
We cheered for Michael Phelps and were charmed by Gabbie Douglas.
And it's the only way I can explain my sudden compulsion to paint everything gold.

It started with a little mother and child statue that has long served as my necklace holder. "She" was a boring gray resin, but I gave her a good coat of gold spray paint, thinking that was all it would take to jazz her up a bit. Unfortunately, she just looked flat and kind of like cardboard. 
I wanted something richer, with more contrast. Something a bit more antique-y, like the fleur de lis in the photo below.
So I got out my box of craft paints and started digging.
I started with a coat of "Glorious Gold"
Then brushed on a bit of "burnt umber" mixed with some floating medium. I wiped off any excess with a paper towel, so the brown just stayed in the nooks and crannies.

Voila. Much better. I almost hate to cover her up with so many necklaces!
But my quest for gold didn't stop there.
I also painted a few frames and such to make a mini-gallery for my bathroom.



 I don't know what I'm going to watch now that the Olympics are done, but I do know that I will continue goin' for the gold!
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Looks great! I don't know what I'm gonna watch either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, it's like the post-Christmas blahs. After all that fun, it's hard to go back to real life! ;)

      Delete

I read and appreciate every one of your comments. Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know what you think.