Friday, September 7, 2012

A Day in the Life of Our Homeschool

Before our school year began, I didn't even want to guess at what our schedule would look like. Would it take an hour to do our math lessons or even longer? If we read aloud for more than 30 minutes in the morning, would we be running behind all day? When would we squeeze in music appreciation or art? 
Needless to say, my anxiety was running pretty high in the days before we started. I had no clue what to expect. All my adult life, I've had the same recurring anxiety dream where my teeth crumble and fall out and, sure enough, I was plagued by them again last week. 
I needn't have worried. Despite a bit of the blues on the first day when he missed his friends, Hunter has been a champ. I was so worried he would groan, moan, complain, fight me on everything that it would take forever and we would both be frustrated. But, so far so good. He is doing well and loves cuddling with the dog during school!
Here's a rough breakdown of our daily schedule.
5:30 a.m. My alarm clock goes off. I hit snooze for a good hour and stumble out of bed by 6:30-ish. I know my mornings would be less stressed if I just got up when the alarm first sounded, but I can't seem to bring myself to do so.
6:45-8:10 Kids get up {Caitlin first, then Hunter}. We all shower, do chores and have breakfast. Hunter and I drop Cait at school.
8:30-9:30 Hunter and I read aloud from "The Hobbit" and he has some independent reading time while I clean up the kitchen. He usually plays with his Lord of the Rings Legos while I read. This is probably our favorite part of the day, so far {and why not? He's in his pajamas still!}.
10:00-11:00 After a snack and short break, we launch into math. We've been tackling two lessons a day since most of it is review at this point. I don't think we'll continue at this pace, but it works for now.
11-12:30 {or so} Language Arts. We do spelling, grammar, and writing before lunch. 
12:30-1 Lunch, walk dog, play outside
1-1:30 Rest time. Susan Wise Bauer advocates for an hour break in the afternoon, just so everyone can re-energize. I couldn't bring myself to commit to that long, so Hunter spends a half hour in his room either reading or playing quietly. I am shocked at how much he loves this time. I really thought he would fight me on this, but he usually asks for longer!
1:30-2:30 History {M/W/F} Science {T/Th}
2:45 Pick up Caitlin
We are doing music, art, library trips, and any extra projects on Fridays, when we have a bit lighter Language Arts schedule.
That's a peek into a day in the life at our homeschool. It's busy, but I'm really enjoying it so far.
I'll be {belatedly} linking up here:
Not Back to School Blog Hop
Thanks for reading!
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. sounds like you've got a good schedule going and what a blessing Hunter is adjusting well too! Looking forward to following you on this journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kate. It's definitely going to be harder to squeeze in my blog time... but I'm sure I'll find a way! ;)

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate every one of your comments. Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know what you think.