Monday, September 24, 2012

Autumn Harvest Mantel

I've made no secret of my love for the fall. The colors, the cool weather, the comfort food; it's all wonderful in my book. Naturally, fall decorating is one of my favorites. For me, this is no time for restraint. Autumn is all about abundance. It's harvest time, when the fruit of summer's labor is finally gathered and consumed. Autumn is a celebration and I wanted my mantel to reflect that idea. 
 I started off by gathering together all my fall-ish decor and "harvesting" my mantel theme from there. I've been looking for an excuse to use the opulent gold frame I found at a craft store for $6, and this seemed like a perfect opportunity. The framed monogram was cobbled together with things I had around the house. I lined the oval frame with burlap for textural interest. The candles were from my kitchen "beachy" summer mantel, I just moved them into the living room for fall.
The little cherubs were a garage sale find from way back, and I've been collecting white pumpkins for several years. I pick up a few every year after Halloween when they go on clearance. In fact, the only thing new is the garland. I bought two strands at Micheal's and wound them together, then added the burlap ribbon to fill in the gaps and really enhance the feeling of autumn's plenty.
 
Even the guardians of our hearth (the literary lions, Tolkien and Lewis) were bedecked in honor of the harvest bounty. A bouquet of pheasant feathers and wheat round out the celebration of nature.
 
Though it's not part of our harvest mantel, I also wanted to share the simple message written on the chalkboard near our front door. As we move into the holiday season, I am always more aware of the importance to "gather and give thanks" but it's something I try and live throughout the year, too. Being able to gather together with loved ones and give thanks for the abundance of blessings in our lives is a gift I hope to enjoy over and over again in the coming months.
 Thanks so much for stopping by.
{Be sure to check out our kitchen Halloween mantel inspired by "The Raven"}
Photobucket
I'll be linking up here:
 
 
Jennifer Rizzo

23 comments:

  1. that is just amazing! I love it! I just quickly decorated for fall....going back to the mantel now with your ideas...so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melodee! I hope you'll share yours when it's finished. :)

      Delete
  2. LOVE IT!!! That garland and burlap ribbon look amazing. Great job Jessie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kate! I love burlap and have been looking for any opportunity to use it lately.

      Delete
  3. you always do a wonderful job!!!! A for "awesome"!

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow you did a great job. Your mantle is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one of the most beautiful fall mantels I've seen! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your mantel is so beautiful! The two strands of garland with the burlap ribbon really give it a lush, full look! I have a white painted mantel, too, so I'm pinning your mantel for future reference!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your mantel is stunning. You did a super job. So many unique and cool elements. I am visiting from Centsational Girl. I would love for you to come and link up to my Fall into Fall party that opens tonight at 8pm EST. Hope to see you there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judy! Thanks for stopping by! I'll definitely check out your party. Thanks for the invite!

      Delete
  8. everything about your mantel is right on! i love the way your mixed what you had and it came together so beautifully. Happy Fall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura! It came together better than I expected {a rare occurrence!} Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. I absolutely love it! I'm not a big fan of working with burlap, but I love how it looks, especially in your garland. I also think the floral crowns on the lions are fantastic! Love them. :)

    Stopping by from Centsational Girl's mantel party! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your mantle is beautiful! The lushness of it really reminds me of the bounty of the harvest season. Great job! Came over from Centsational Girl.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've put all the elements together perfectly to create a gorgeous fall mantel! I finally just got mine decorated! I'm visiting from Ironstone Nest and am your newest follower-please visit when you can :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your mantel! I hope you will stop by and link up at my All Things Fall Party! http://www.thevintagefarmhouse.com/2012/09/all-things-fall-and-folk-magazine.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE LOVE LOVE it! I featured you on my blog!http://renovating519.blogspot.ca/2013/09/fall-for-me-mantles-inspiration-for.html

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate every one of your comments. Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know what you think.