Monday, September 24, 2012

Halloween Mantel Inspired by "The Raven"

As a confirmed bibliophile, I always appreciate a nod to the literary world. My love of all things written does not end with books and shelves either. It influences many aspects of my life. My ring-tone is from Harry Potter. One of our cats is named Edgar Allen Poe {though he prefers to go by just Poe} and our dog is named for a Tolkien character. In fact, I campaigned to name our daughter after some of my favorite literary heroines, but, alas, my husband was not quite on board {Lucy Anne, with an e, would have been so cute!}. So when my son begged for a spooky Halloween mantel, I naturally thought of Poe {the Gothic writer, not the friendly feline}. 
I give you our kitchen mantel:
Although Hunter would have preferred something more blatantly gory, I did not relish the idea of severed hands looming over our dining table, so I went for a more refined version of spooky.
The lines from "The Raven" are just written on craft pumpkins with a Sharpie. I started off trying to do the lettering with a tiny paint brush, and then realized that I was making it way too hard. The Sharpie worked like a charm!
Once I had the pumpkins done, everything else was easy. I used some of my vintage Nancy Drew books and a few mini headstones. We added a wee bottle of poison {empty}, lots of candles, and an Ikea lantern. Hunter did manage to sneak in few skulls, and though it's difficult to see, there is a birdcage filled with more old mystery books on the hearth.
I had a lot of fun working on this mantel and have been enjoying its subtle-spookiness. The living room mantel has more of a classic fall feel, so this is a nice contrast.
{You can see our Autumn Harvest Mantel here}
Thanks so much for stopping by and Happy Halloween!
Photobucket
I'll be linking up here:

12 comments:

  1. I'm glad it's not 'gory' -- it is adorable ...although I did notice the skulls! and then read it was "Hunter's touch" ... tell him we could do without them ... ha ha!! very 'artistic' writing Miss Jessie! both mantels make me miss the white pumpkins my dad used to plant ~ I might have to get some and try them again next year! ....we wouldn't mind if you find something more to decorate tomorrow! :) good nite! "just me" ..... <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are GOOD! That looks fabulous. Seriously, it could be ripped from the pages of Country Living. Really, really nice job.

    Will you come help me decorate my house? I plopped a pumpkin on the coffee table and called it fall. I need to step-up my game!

    BTW, I did name my daughter after a character in a book I read as a teenager. Yup. Pathetic nerd-girl here.
    ~FringeGirl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You read a book with a character named "Fringe Kid"?! ;) Lol, don't worry. I'm a card-carrying member of the pathetic nerd-girl club too! And thank you for your sweet words!

      Delete
  3. hahaaa...cute mantel...you did an adorable job.
    Over from the Mantel Party...:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE it! We are book fiends around here and we couldn't think of a better way to ring in Halloween than with some good ol' Edgar A. Poe. (And for what it is worth, I love the name "Lucy Anne"! We have a hamster named Shakespeare and a bunny named Aesop :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too funny! My husband lets me name the pets and various statuary around the house after literary characters, but he insisted the kids be named for people we actually know. The nerve! ;)
      And I went for "Lucy Anne" because I knew there was no way he would go for "Arwen Evenstar!"

      Delete
  5. Love it - I actually stated out in a "Raven" direction myself but ended up going another direction - love yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Laura! I always love your mantels. The "enchanted" one you did this fall is gorgeous. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. So cute,, your handwriting is amazing! Wish I could write that well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I wish mine was too. Full disclosure: I printed out my quotes and traced the outline on with carbon paper!

      Delete
  7. What a great idea! I love your literary theme - SO creative!
    Jo-Anna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous mantel! I hope you will stop by and link up at my All Things Fall Party! http://www.thevintagefarmhouse.com/2012/09/all-things-fall-and-folk-magazine.html

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate every one of your comments. Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know what you think.