Friday, October 12, 2012

31 Days of Comfort Food: Day 12, Frosted Oatmeal Cookies

As I sat on my couch tonight, eating Chinese take-out and watching Harry Potter, I seriously considered taking a photo of my mushu pork and calling it a comfort food. Because it is, for me, though I always regret that particular form of comfort food after eating it. But it seemed like a slippery slope... if I allow Chinese take-out tonight, it's sure to be McDonald's Happy Meals before we know it.
Instead, I thought I would share another one of my favorite cookie recipes.
{I seem to have a lot of favorite cookies.}
P.S. If you're new here, and don't know what I'm talking about, you can start from the beginning here.
I got this recipe from a friend several years ago, and it has been a regular in our cookie jar ever since.
Frosted Oatmeal Cookies
 
For the cookies:
2 cups quick cooking oatmeal
1 cup butter, melted and cooled
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 T. baking powder
2 cups flour
For the frosting:
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
Heat oven to 350. Using a food processor, quickly pulse the oatmeal. You don't want a fine powder, just chopped up a bit. Set aside.

In a mixing bowl, blend together butter and sugars. Mix for 1-2 minutes until combined. Add eggs, one at a time. Mix in remaining cookie ingredients {including oatmeal} and blend till totally combined.

Drop dough by rounded tablespoon onto parchment lined cookie sheets. Bake for 14-16 minutes. Let them cool on the sheets for a few minutes before removing to wire rack to cool completely.

To make the frosting: whisk powdered sugar, cream and cinnamon till smooth.

Spoon about a tablespoon onto each cookie and swirl it around till it looks pretty. Allow the frosting to harden up a bit before storing. 

Enjoy these sweet, chewy, wholesome cookies!
Photobucket

1 comment:

I read and appreciate every one of your comments. Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know what you think.