Thursday, October 18, 2012

31 Days of Comfort Food: Day 18, Chippy Chewy Bars

Today is day 18 of a 31 day series on comfort food. If you're feeling hungry, you can see all the previous posts by clicking here.
I meant to post about these bars months ago. You see, the only time I make them is when we go camping... in the summer. They are our official camping dessert. Okay, them and s'mores.
But it would be unheard of for me to make Chippy Chewy Bars in the fall, when we are not camping. Luckily, I intended to share the recipe way back in June, but never got around to it. I did, however, take a picture when I made them. So my procrastination has paid off! {Take that high school teachers who told me it never pays to put things off!}
1 stick butter
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 bag of peanut butter chips
1 1/2 cups shredded coconut
1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup chocolate chips
1 1/2 tsp. shortening

Heat oven to 350. Place butter in 13x9 baking pan. Heat in oven till melted; remove pan from oven. Sprinkle graham cracker crumbs evenly over butter; press down with fork.

Sprinkle peanut butter chips over crumbs; sprinkle coconut over chips. Drizzle sweetened condensed milk evenly over top.

Bake 20 minutes or until lightly browned.

Combine chocolate chips and shortening in a microwavable bowl and melt in microwave, stirring and checking frequently. I usually do 30 second increments for about a minute and a half. You want them to be just melted and smooth. Drizzle the chocolate evenly over the top. The batch pictured above had a bit thicker consistency to the chocolate, so I spread it rather than drizzled. But a bit more shortening will thin it out if you prefer the drizzle-y look. Cool bars completely before cutting.

These bars are tooth-acheingly sweet, but they are always a hit at potlucks. And for us, it just wouldn't be camping without them.
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read and appreciate every one of your comments. Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know what you think.