Monday, October 1, 2012

31 Days of Comfort Food: Day, 2 Hearty Beef Stew

Welcome to Day 2 of my 31 Day Series. Nearly a thousand other bloggers are currently linked up over at The Nesting Place, each one sharing her unique ideas. If you haven't been over there lately, you should definitely check it out. There are so many fun and useful ideas! 

During the month of October, I will be sharing some of my favorite comfort foods. Today's dish is Hearty Beef Stew.
When Chris and I were first married, his mom mentioned how much he had always loved beef stew. Eager to impress my new hubby, I gamely attempted to make some. By opening a can of Dinty Moore. 
Lucky for him, my cooking skills have improved with age.
This is how I make beef stew today {recipe adapted from America's Test Kitchen}:
What you'll need:
2 1/2-3 lb. of stew meat
salt and pepper
3 T. vegetable oil
1 large onion, minced
1 can diced tomatoes
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 T. flour
1 c. red wine
2 c. chicken broth
1 tsp. dried thyme
2 bay leaves
1 1/2 lb. potatoes, cut into chunks
4 carrots, peeled and sliced
1 cup frozen peas
chopped parsley for garnish 
 Season stew meat with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Brown beef for about 10 minutes, then transfer to a plate.

Add remaining oil to pot. Stir in onions and cook till soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another minute or two, then stir in the diced tomatoes. Add flour and cook for 1 minute. Stir in wine, scraping up browned bits.

Stir in the broth, thyme, bay leaves, and browned beef {along with any accumulated juices}. Simmer, covered, for about an hour.

Stir in potatoes and carrots, re-cover, then cook for an additional hour or until the beef is tender.

Stir in the peas about 5 minutes before serving. Add salt and pepper according to taste. Garnish with parsley and serve with crusty bread.
Bon appetite! 
You can find the rest of my 31 Days series here.
Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! These are my types of recipes. I should just cook along with your recipes every day for a month. :-)

    ~FringeGirl

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate every one of your comments. Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know what you think.