Sunday, October 21, 2012

31 Days of Comfort Food: Day 21, Hearty Peasant Soup

Welcome to day 21 of 31 straight days of comfort food! I am on the countdown to the finish, but if you've missed any of the posts in this series or want to start from the beginning you can go here.

Today's dish is the type of simple, no-fuss food that common folks have been eating for centuries. It requires no fancy ingredients, little effort in preparation, and is filling enough to satisfy you during a long day of hard labor. Don't let its plebeian roots fool you though, this soup is full flavor fit for a king.
Hearty Peasant Soup
1/2 lb. bacon, cubed
6 sausage links or brats, cut into bite-size chunks
3 onions, chopped
2 lb. potatoes, cut into bite-size chunks
1/2 lb. carrots, peeled and chopped
1 tsp. salt
black pepper, to taste
6 cups beef broth
1/2 lb. fresh or frozen green peas
1/2 lb. fresh or frozen green beans

In a large, heavy pot, cook bacon till crisp and sausage links till brown. Remove sausage links and drain on paper towels. 

Strain off all the fat from the pan, add onions, potatoes, carrots, salt and pepper to the bacon and combine thoroughly. 

Lower the heat, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes. 

Pour in the broth; add the peas, beans, and drained sausage links. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer 20 minutes more. 

Serve piping hot with crusty bread. This is will easily feed 6 people, so we usually have lots of leftovers. Luckily, it's even better the next day!

I love hearing from you and I'm so glad you're enjoying this 31 day series. If you would like to follow me on Facebook you can do so here. I am also a huge fan of Pinterest and am always adding things to my boards; you can follow me on on Pinterest here. And if you'd like to see what I'm up to throughout the day, you can find me on Instagram, too! My user name is "dreamanddiffer". Thanks for stopping by!
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Yum! That soup sounds amazing!
    Dropping by from the Live Laugh Rowe blog hop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to make this. And pin it. Thank you.
    ~FringeGirl

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate every one of your comments. Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know what you think.