Wednesday, October 24, 2012

31 Days of Comfort Food: Day 23, Chicken and Sausage Stuffed Soup

This is a dish that defies classification. It is not quite a soup and not quite a casserole. It is unique and satisfying, plus, it freezes beautifully and feeds a crowd. 
The original recipe came from a funny little cookbook I got years ago, called Hollyhocks and Radishes.  I have modified it somewhat over the years and it has become a wintertime favorite at our house.
 
There are several steps to preparing this dish, so I've broken down the ingredients accordingly.
Part 1
3-4 pounds chicken, bone in or boneless... I've used both
5-8 cubes chicken bouillon, depending on taste
2 bay leaves
black pepper
water
Place above ingredients in a large pot with enough water to cover the chicken. Cover pot and simmer until chicken is quite tender, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.  *Cheater Alert* You could skip this step and just buy a rotisserie chicken and use boxed broth... your family will never know!
Part 2
3 onions, chopped
4 stalks celery, chopped
3 T. butter
12 oz. pork sausage links, sliced into bite-size pieces
6 oz. package of stuffing mix
4 tsp. sage
1 T. basil
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup water
Preheat oven to 300. While the chicken broth is simmering away {or not, if you're a cheater/genius}, sauté onions and celery in butter and oil until the onions are soft. Remove with a slotted spoon to a large bowl. Brown sausage in same skillet, and transfer to bowl. Add stuffing mix, sage, basil, cheese, and water to bowl, and combine all. Place in a greased 9x13 dish. Cover and bake for 1 1/2 hours.
Part 3
1 tsp. celery seed
1/2 tsp. crumbled rosemary leaves
chopped parsley to taste
After chicken has cooked, strain broth into another pot. Remove meat from bones, and cut into bite-size pieces. Add to broth along with celery seed, rosemary, and chopped parsley. When the stuffing mixture has finished baking, stir into the pot of chicken. Check seasoning and serve piping hot.
This was Day 23 of 31 days of comfort food. If you've missed any of the posts in this series or want to start from the beginning you can go here.
If you're enjoying this series, I'd love to hear from you! If you would like to follow me on Facebook you can do so here. I am am always adding things to my boards on Pinterest- you can follow me here. And if you'd like to see what I'm up to throughout the day, you can find me on Instagram, too! My user name is "dreamanddiffer". 
Thanks for stopping by!
Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Ok, I saw a glimpse of the photo of this soup last night, but I didn't catch where it came from and I keep thinking of this soup picture I saw.

    I clicked on a handful of blogs that usually have soup recipes, but no luck. I should have realized it was you!!!!

    Anyway, it looks amazing. I'm going to try and make it this weekend, but if not, it will be cooking in my kitchen ASAP.

    Thank you. Pinning it too.
    ~FringeGirl

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate every one of your comments. Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know what you think.