Saturday, October 27, 2012

31 Days of Comfort Food: Day 25, French Onion Soup

This is not your average French Onion Soup. This is authentic French Onion Soup. What makes it authentic you ask? 
I pronounce it with a French accent. 
And the recipe came from a French cookbook.
Boom.
If that's not an authentic pedigree, I don't know what is.
{Authentic} French Onion Soup

3T. butter
3 large onions, thinly sliced
1 T. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
Freshly ground black pepper
6 c. beef broth
Thick slices of French bread
1/4 Parmesan cheese
1 c. grated Swiss or Gruyere cheese

In a heavy pan, melt butter and add onions. Cook slowly, stirring occasionally, until golden. Sprinkle on flour and stir for a few minutes to cook the flour. Season with salt and pepper. Add broth, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil, lower heat and let simmer, partially covered for 30 minutes. Toast bread in oven until brown. Place bread in oven proof soup tureen or individual bowls. Preheat broiler. Sprinkle bread with Parmesan cheese. Pour soup over bread and top with Swiss or Gruyere. Brown the cheese under the broiler. Serve immediately.

This is day 25 of 31 days of comfort food. If you've missed any of the posts in this series or want to start from the beginning you can go here.
Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. My husband loves French Onion Soup and I always make it out of a can. Shame on me. He'd love it if I made this.

    You've had such amazing recipes this month. My cooking is improving because of you!

    ~FringeGirl

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate every one of your comments. Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know what you think.