Tuesday, October 2, 2012

31 Days of Comfort Food: Day 3, Minnesota Chili

Welcome to Day 3 of my 31 Days of Comfort Food. During the month of October, I'll be sharing all my favorite culinary indulgences. Today's dish is a little something I like to call "Minnesota Chili." It's my version of Cincinnati Chili. You know, because I live in Minnesota. Not Cincinnati. I'm creative with names like that. Whatever you call it, this chili is a perfect blend of spice and sweetness. You can add more heat if that's how you roll, but I like it to stay in the backseat. 

Before I met Chris I had never heard of eating chili with noodles {or having western dressing on tacos, either, but I'm a convert to that camp too}. One night we had dinner at Chris' uncle's house and he served the chili "Mother Ruhl-style," on a bed of elbow noodles. And that is how I've had it ever since. 
 Don't let the long ingredient list intimidate you. It's worth the effort!
2 large onions, chopped
4 cloves minced garlic
2 T. oil
2 lb. ground beef
2 15-oz. cans diced tomatoes
2 10 1/2-oz. cans tomato soup
2 15-oz. cans kidney beans (undrained)
2-4 cups beef broth
1/2 oz. unsweetened chocolate
4 T. chili powder
1 tsp. each allspice, cinnamon, and cumin
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper (add more if you like it hot!)
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1 bay leaf
2 T. cider vinegar
salt, to taste
1 lb. cooked elbow noodles
Heat oil in a large Dutch oven and cook onions and garlic till soft. Add meat and cook over medium-high heat till no longer pink.

Add remaining ingredients, beginning with 2 cups beef broth, and barely simmer, uncovered for 1 to 3 hours. If it gets too thick you can add beef broth as needed. You're going for a soupy consistency.

Serve in shallow bowls, with a small amount of noodles in the bottom, then add a big ol' scoop of chili. Garnish with shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, chopped onions, crackers... whatever your heart desires. 

This is a game-day favorite at our house, and this recipe feeds a crowd. It freezes nicely, though, if you don't manage to eat it all. That usually isn't a problem around here! 
Let me know if you have any questions. I'm happy to answer!
If you'd like to check out the rest of my 31 Day series, you can find links to all the posts here.
Enjoy!
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. That chili looks soooo good. 30 days of comfort food?! I wouldn't dare try that; it would go straight to my thighs. Maybe if I spread it out over 3 months. I'm looking forward to see the other recipes. I found you on The Pleated Poppy link up.

    xx
    Serena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to try all 31 recipes!!!

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate every one of your comments. Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know what you think.