Wednesday, October 3, 2012

31 Days of Comfort Food: Day 4, Apple Nut Cake with Brown Sugar Frosting

We're going to sweeten things up a bit for day 4 of my series, 31 Days of Comfort Food. 
Click here if you'd like to check out the entire series.
I love a good, old-fashioned cake. Moist, dense, and not overly sweet- this is definitely a grown-up cake. It begs to be eaten with spiced tea or creamy coffee. Add a dollop of sweetened cinnamon whip cream, and you'll be in heaven. 

Apple Nut Cake with Brown Sugar Frosting

4 cups apples, peeled and chopped
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
 1 cup chopped nuts 
{I used pecans, but walnuts would be great too}

Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour a 10" tube or Bundt pan. Or use that handy Pam baking spray that comes with the flour already in it. Love that stuff.

{Fair warning: you're gonna need a lot of bowls for this part!} 
In one bowl, combine apples and sugar and set aside. In a {different} large mixing bowl, beat eggs slightly, then mix in oil and vanilla. In {yet another} separate bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Gently stir into egg mixture, then add nuts and sugared apples. 

Pour into prepared pan and bake for 1 hour, or till skewer inserted in center comes our clean.

For the Frosting:

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup water
1/3 cup butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup chopped nuts {optional}

Combine sugars, flour, water, butter, and vanilla in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk constantly,  and boil till slightly thickened. Cool, then add nuts if desired. Drizzle over cake.
Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. YUM! I love a cake I eat with coffee. You are one good cook!!!

    ~FringeGirl

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited about this cake. My grandmother Rose used to make this and I have been hunting for the recipe. So very excited to have it.
    thank you.
    beth @secondhandmom.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I hope you like it! If you try it, let me know how it turns out. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

I read and appreciate every one of your comments. Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know what you think.