Thursday, October 4, 2012

31 Days of Comfort Food: Day 5, Brown Sugar Cookies

I was going to save these for the last day of October because they are, in my opinion, the best cookies ever, but five days into our 31 day journey and I just couldn't wait any more. These cookies are to-die-for good. Melt-in-your-mouth and leave-you-reaching-for-more good. Gone-in-hours good. Seriously. I need to make another batch, because this one vanished in less than a day. 
This recipe is adapted from a version featured on my very favorite cooking show on PBS, America's Test Kitchen. 
Brown Sugar Cookies
{makes about 2 dozen large cookies}
14 T. unsalted butter (1 3/4 sticks)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 cups packed brown sugar
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 salt
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1 T. vanilla
 
Over medium-high heat, melt 10 tablespoons butter in a skillet. Cook, swirling pan constantly, till butter is dark golden brown and has a "nutty" aroma {this may take several minutes}. Remove from heat and pour the browned butter into a large bowl. Stir the remaining 4 tablespoons butter into the hot butter till it's all melted. Cool for 15 minutes.

Adjust rack to middle of oven and heat oven to 350. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. In a shallow dish, mix granulated sugar and 1/4 cup of brown sugar, till well combined. You can go ahead and use your fingers. I won't tell. Set aside. Whisk flour, baking soda, and baking powder together in a medium bowl. Set that aside, too.

Add the rest of the brown sugar {1 3/4 cup} and salt to the bowl with the cooled butter and mix till there are no lumps left. Scrape down the sides and add the egg, yolk, and vanilla. Mix till fully incorporated, about 30 seconds. Scrape that bowl down again. Add flour mixture and mix for another minute, or till just combined. Give dough one last stir to make sure you didn't miss anything.

Roll dough into balls {each one should be about 1 1/2" diameter}. Toss balls in reserved sugar mixture and set on prepared baking sheet. They will spread out, so make sure they are at least 2" apart. 

Bake till cookies are browned and still a bit puffy, about 12-14 minutes. Edges should just have set, but you want the centers to be soft. Be careful not to over-bake, since these are such dark cookies, it is hard to tell when they are done based on the color. 

Cool cookies on sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.

Given the texture of this cookie {crisp edges and a chewy center} they are perfect for dipping. Coffee, milk, tea, cocoa; it doesn't matter what you dunk them in, they are just the embodiment of buttery deliciousness. Yum!


Want to see more of my 31 Day series? 
You can check out the rest right here.
Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. mmm ... they look nummy! I'll have to try these!! Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my, they look amazing. And here I was, just this morning, trying to find ways of ridding sugar from my diet. Now I am planning on making your cookies!
    ~FringeGirl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hush your mouth! Why would you do a crazy thing like cutting sugar?! Life's too short to go without sweetness! ;-)

      Delete
  3. You better bring me a sample of your baked goodies to book club ;) These look amazing! I will have to make these soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there, this is one of my favourite cookies too and I have tried making them so many times, the texture is spot on, I just can't seem to get the crackled top :( any ideas as to how yours look so crackled and incredible? Awesome job by the way!

    Tonia :)

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate every one of your comments. Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know what you think.