Monday, October 8, 2012

31 Days of Comfort Food: Day 8, Quick and Easy Spaghetti with Meat Sauce

 For day 8 of my 31 Days of Comfort Food, I am featuring a dish that makes an appearance on our family dinner table at least twice a month. It's so quick and easy that I am almost embarrassed to share the recipe. But that's what comfort food is all about, right? Dishes that make us feel good and comfortable. And I am immensely comforted by this dish. On nights when I want to put a home cooked meal on the table, but I don't have a lot of time or energy, this is my go-to dish. 
Without further ado, I give you...
Spaghetti with Meat Sauce.
1 1/2 lb. ground beef or Italian sausage
{or a combo of both}
1 onion, minced
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
2 T. olive oil
1 (24 oz.) jar Newman's Own Sweet Onion & Roasted Garlic Tomato Sauce
1 can diced tomatoes
1 bay leaf
1 T. Italian seasoning
pinch of fennel
Splash of red wine
1 lb. spaghetti noodles, cooked and drained

Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Sauté onion and garlic till they are soft and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Stir in beef/sausage and cook till no longer pink. Add tomatoes, sauce, bay leaf, Italian seasoning, fennel, and wine. Stir together, cover, and barely simmer for about an hour. Serve with grated Parmesan over piping hot noodles. Add obligatory bread of choice to mop up any remaining sauce. You won't want to waste any!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read and appreciate every one of your comments. Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know what you think.