Tuesday, October 9, 2012

31 Days of Comfort Food: Day 9, Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes

Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes
{with good ol' mac & cheese on the side}
When we talk about comfort food, this is what a lot of people think of right away.
It is plain and simple, no fuss, no frills. Oh, and no spice... this is Midwestern cuisine at it's finest.
But, boy, is it satisfying.
I am a devoted fan of Pioneer Woman's mashed potato recipe. It is completely decadent, and oh-so-delicious. You can find her recipe here. Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, Thursday: these potatoes are perfect any time. 

As for the mac-n-cheese... that is a bone of contention in my family. I love homemade macaroni and cheese, but my clan will not eat it. For them, nothing compares to Kraft. 

The meatloaf, however, is my specialty.
The recipe is adapted from an old Betty Crocker cookbook.

Meatloaf
1 1/2 lb. ground beef
1 cup milk
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. dried sage
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
1 large egg
3/4 cup quick-cooking oatmeal
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 cup ketchup or barbecue sauce

Heat oven to 350. Mix all ingredients except ketchup. Spread into un-greased loaf pan. Spoon ketchup/barbecue sauce over top. Bake, uncovered, for 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Internal temp should be about 160. Serve with additional ketchup or barbecue.

Leftover meatloaf can be made into a killer sandwich the next day. Just sayin'.

You can read all of my 31 Days of Comfort Food by clicking here.

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Your meatloaf recipe sounds very good. I'm not so great at meatloaf, but I found a recipe my family likes. I'm bookmarking yours though. Gotta try it.

    My kids prefer Kraft to my homemade mac & cheese too. To me, that's insane, but they are kids. They don't know any better, at least that's what I tell myself.
    ~FringeGirl

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a good slice of meatloaf, makes me think of being at home!

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate every one of your comments. Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know what you think.