Tuesday, October 9, 2012

WIWW and 31 Days of Comfort Food: Day 10, Best Ever Chocolate Cake

Welcome to a double-whammy Wednesday: What I Wore and Day 10 of my series, 31 Days of Comfort Food! {You can start the series from the beginning here.} 
I'm too tired for separate posts, so one long one it is!

We'll start with the good stuff {you can just scroll down if you're here for WIWW... but you'd be crazy to pass this recipe up!}. This is the very best chocolate cake you will ever have the pleasure of meeting. I do not say that lightly. It has the most smooth, velvety frosting you can imagine. Not too sweet. Just perfect. Trust me, I am a connoisseur of chocolate cake, and this one... well, it takes the cake!
{recipe adapted from Jan Karon's Mitford cookbook}
For the cake:
1 1/2 cups cake flour
1 cup double strength hot coffee
4 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped fine
2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs, room temp., lightly beaten
1/2 cup sour cream
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 325. Spray two 9" round cake pans with Pam for Baking {the kind with the flour in it, love that stuff!} 

In a large bowl, combine hot coffee with unsweetened chocolate, and let it melt, stirring constantly. Sift the 2 cups sugar, flour, 1/2 tsp. salt, and baking soda into a separate large bowl. Add the oil, eggs, sour cream, and 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla to the bowl with the melted chocolate and whisk till well combined.

Stir the wet ingredients into the dry, in thirds, stirring well after each addition, till totally mixed.

Divide batter between the pans, rap each pan onto the counter to get rid of any air bubbles and place in oven. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or till a toothpick comes out clean.

Cool cakes in pans for 5 minutes, then invert on racks to cool completely.


For the frosting:
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 lb. semi sweet chocolate chips (about 1 1/2 bags)
1/4 cup double strength hot coffee
1 tsp. vanilla


In a saucepan over medium heat, combine heavy cream, butter, sugar, and salt. Slowly heat, stirring, till hot. Add semisweet chocolate chips and stir till just melted. Remove from heat, pour mixture into a large bowl, and stir in the coffee and vanilla. Let cool to room temp, stirring occasionally. Frosting will be very thin and runny, almost like chocolate sauce. Once it has cooled a bit, place in freezer. Check and stir every 5-10 minutes till the frosting reaches a thick, spreadable consistency. Check often, and stir frequently or it can separate and turn grainy.

Arrange one layer of cake on a serving platter, top side up, and frost the surface thickly. Top with the second layer, top side down, and frost the top and sides. Can be stored, covered, at room temperature, for up to one week. But it won't last that long, trust me.

Okay, on to the clothes.
I love this sweater from Lands End. I have it in multiple colors and you will see it on a regular basis throughout the fall and winter.
Sweater: Lands End
Tank: Shade Clothing
Jeans: Lucky Brand

Shopping and dinner with the family. It has been brutally windy, so I had to wrap my scarf up tight. 
{Apparently. It kind of looks like I'm being strangled.}
Sweater, scarf: Old Navy
Dress: Shade Clothing
Wool leggings: Smartwool
Boots: Madden Girl
Petal Pusher: The Pleated Poppy

Church... there's that sweater again, though it's in a different color this time.
Sweater, skirt: Lands End
Belt, tights: Target
Boots: Keen
Necklace: Allora Handmade

Let's take one more look at that cake, shall we?
Smooth. Velvety. Chocolatey deliciousness. 
I'm sorry. What were we talking about?
Oh yes, I'll be linking up here:
pleated poppy
Photobucket

15 comments:

  1. That is seriously the best choc cake ever!! You are going to derail my eating plan girl! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I'm goin' down, I'm taking you all down with me!

      Delete
  2. you always look so put together. I like your style.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you are going to make this for me when I return home from Ukraine, right? :)
    Or maybe I will gather ingredients and make it here, and eat it all myself. At once. With a fork.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fork is nice, but not necessary. You can eat this cake wih your fingers... I've heard. Definitely haven't done it though. Nope. Not me.

      Delete
  4. Yup, that cake looks perfect! Nice outfits too.
    ~FringeGirl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love how you styled that scarf and the cake looks amazing! Stopping by from the WIWW link up. If you have a sec I'd love for you to check out my post today:)
    www.winetastegirl.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have the best hair! Seriously, in every picture it looks amazing! You're such a fashionable mama. :) I’d love for you to stop by my blog- I’m currently hosting my October giveaway along with free ad space.

    Happy Wednesday!

    Veralynn
    Joiedeveralynn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Veralynn! I always check out your WIWW posts and you are a pretty darn fashionable mama yourself! ;)

      Delete
  7. Oh boy! I am so happy I found you, thanks to WIWW! First of all, beautiful outfits! Second - oh that cake! And I've been peeking through your posts and we are so very similar. :)
    Newest follower, my dear! Yay!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Misty and welcome! I'm so glad you're here :) Thanks for the sweet words and the follow!

      Delete
  8. Jessie - which turtleneck sweater are you wearing from land's end. I just love it. Heck, who am I kidding, I love all your Land's End sweaters! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shannon! This sweater is from last year, so the good news is they are really cheap now. The bad news is there aren't a lot of choices for colors/size left. But you can check it out here:
      http://www.landsend.com/pp/womens-long-sleeve-feelgood-turtleneck-sweater~228554_59.html
      Good luck!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Jessie! I ordered two today and can't wait for them to arrive. (I was able to cash in some rewards points & basically got one free- gotta love that!!)

      Delete

I read and appreciate every one of your comments. Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know what you think.