Monday, November 5, 2012

Five Things I Learned From 31 Days of Comfort Food


31 Days is over and done and I am a day late and a dollar short in wrapping it all up. If you're interested, you can go here to see all my 31 days posts. This whole process was both harder and easier than I anticipated. Here is what I learned {the good, the bad, and the ugly} in a 5-point list:

1. Don't "wing it" on a project this big. I said it was harder and easier than I thought, so let me explain: it was harder because I jumped in at the last minute and didn't plan as well as I should've. I started off with a list of around 20 recipes that I knew I wanted to share, and figured I would just wing the rest. "Winging it" proved more difficult than I anticipated. Turns out my repertoire of comfort recipes does not extend to 31 days and I had to really dig to fill in the gaps. I should've tapped into the talent and generosity of my friends, family, and fellow bloggers. A few guest posts would've made filling in the gaps much, much easier. 

2. There's something to be said for mindless blogging. It was easier because I did not have to think about what to post from day to day. I could easily copy down my recipe, edit a picture or two and be done. 

3. Procrastination never pays. Did I learn nothing from grad school? I should've written more ahead of time and scheduled posts for times I knew I would be busy. Instead, I stayed up late and got up early to dash off a quick post.
4. Food photography is hard! Me and my little point-and-shoot camera had a very hard time making a plate of pasta look appetizing. And I apologize for this picture of the angel chicken. Such a good dish... it smells delicious, it's just not very photogenic.

5. It's called comfort food for good reason. I have such an emotional relationship with food. No, Oprah, not emotionally-dependant {unless you count this, which I don't... that is just hormones}, but a strong emotional connection with certain foods. Cooking is my love-language; it's a way for me to physically demonstrate the care and welcome I want to extend to anyone who sits down at my table. 31 days of focusing on comfort foods at times seemed trivial, but I kept coming back to what it means to me as a wife, mother, and homemaker. 
Years ago, I came across this quote shared by Edie at Life in Grace, and it perfectly captures my sentiments about homemaking and hospitality.

I am so glad that you have come.
I will pour out everything inside me so that you may leave 
this table satisfied and fortified.
Blessing on your eyes.
Blessings on your children.
Blessings on the ground beneath you.
My heart is a ladle of sweet water, brimming over.
The Red Tent, Anita Diamanti
Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. I am behind on all your 31 day posts but look forward to going back and reading them all. I'm impressed that you took on such a big project and saw it through until the end :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed your 31 days of comfort food. In fact, I am making the stuffed chicken and sausage soup tonight and I cannot wait to eat it!

    I am so glad I asked people to help me in my first 31 day journey. I'm not sure I would have made it without the help. I'm already thinking up ideas for next October! Hopefully I'll have posts prepared ahead of time.

    ~FringeGirl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to hear how you like the soup! It's one of my favorites. :)

      Delete

I read and appreciate every one of your comments. Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know what you think.