Thursday, November 22, 2012

On Thanksgiving

Today is a day for gratitude, a day for family, a day for counting our blessings.
In a year of many blessings, one of the biggest for me was returning to full-time mothering and homeschooling Hunter. I am so grateful to have this opportunity, one that means I get to enjoy all the minutia of daily home life. Preparing meals, reading books, decorating mantels, planting flowers, writing a blog; it is quite possible to get lost in these small everyday pleasures. The walls of my home can easily become the limits of my heart.
One of my favorite writers, L.M. Montgomery, gives voice to the importance of a broader perspective in "Anne of the Island":
"The little things of life, sweet and excellent in their place, must not be the things lived for; the highest must be sought and followed; the life of heaven must be begun here on earth."
On Thanksgiving, I am grateful for my family, for our health, for our home. But I am thankful for more than these earthly treasures, so I offer up this (abbreviated) prayer of Thanksgiving from the Lutheran Book of Prayer:
Heavenly Father,
from whom come all good and perfect gifts, 
from whom come mercies new each day,
from whom come blessing beyond measure:
Accept our thanksgiving...
We pray You,
forgive our ingratitude,
open our eyes to behold Your goodness,
fill our hearts with thankfulness,
make us respond in appreciation,
help us to serve in love.
We thank You through Christ, our Lord, 
Your best gift to us.
Amen.
Happy Thanksgiving!
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read and appreciate every one of your comments. Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know what you think.