Sunday, December 9, 2012

O Tannenbaum!

This weekend, a winter storm ensured that central Minnesota will, in fact, enjoy a white Christmas. We are projected to get up to 15" of snow, followed by some bone-chilling temps. With lots of canceled activities and the kids happily playing outside,  I took full advantage of the peace and quiet to put the finishing touches on our tree. 

We usually put the tree in front of our big picture window, but decided to change things up a little this year. You can still see the tree from the street, but it no longer blocks the main heat vent for the living room... a rather important consideration given the afore-mentioned winter storm!

My tree looks a bit different each Christmas. I add things here and there or move things to the kids' tree downstairs. But every year when I finish decorating the tree, I think this is my favorite tree yet. This year really is my favorite, though!

My ornaments are a mix of vintage, homemade, and clearance finds. If you look closely at the ball ornaments above, you can see that one says "1986" and one says "1979" (the year I was born!). My grandmother used to buy me an ornament every year, but only those two have survived. The glittery birdhouses were an after-Christmas find at Target last year. I think they were 90% off, so I bought all they had left!

I still need to find a decent tree skirt. For now, I just draped a fuzzy throw around the base to hide the stand. The basket by the hearth is full of all our favorite Christmas books. We put most of them away for the rest of the year, so they are a fresh treat when the holidays roll around. 

Several months ago, I mentioned to my dad that I would like some old deer antlers for decorating. Once  exclusive to the realm of "up-north" style decorating {which happens to be extremely popular in this neck of the woods}, antlers have been cropping up everywhere lately. Have you noticed? Even Target had some cute ones, but I wasn't fast enough and missed out on them. Anyways, on Friday I got a big box in the mail from my dad and inside was a whole mess of gorgeous antlers. I was so surprised and excited! I quickly added some to the mantel and the tree. I love how they accent the Highland-glamour look I was going for. 

Samwise had to get in on the pictures too. He can't stand not being the center of attention!

I have a simple little tutorial for the silhouette ornaments that I will share later this week, so be on the lookout for that. For now, I'm off to enjoy Sunday dinner (balsamic glazed pork loin and parmesan risotto, followed by frozen peppermint cheesecake) and Christmas movies. I'm thinking Bing Crosby and White Christmas would be rather appropriate for today.
Photobucket
I'm linking up here:

10 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! It's the picture of Christmas. Glad you'll have a white one. Christmas is about the only time snow is good. ;-)

    ~FringeGirl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tree is absolutely gorgeous! Your home looks beautiful all decked out for Christmas. Hope you will link this up to my party if you haven't already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the reminder, Judy! I just linked up!

      Delete
  3. Love the highland look, and the antlers are a nice touch! I bought some of those birdhouse ornaments at Target THIS YEAR...must go after xmas for the sales!!! Happy Holidays and stay warm :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love finding those after-Christmas deals. I had forgotten all about the birdhouses too, so it was a treat to discover them this year with all my other Christmas stuff.

      Delete
  4. I love you tree! It is so elegant and festive! Those birdhouses from Target were a great find!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your tree is gorgeous! Would you please share where you bought it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, I should have thought of that and included it in the post. Thanks for asking! It's a 7.5' GE, we got it on black Friday at Home Depot. I think this is the same model (or very close) http://www.homedepot.com/Decor-Holiday-Decorations-Christmas-Trees-Artificial-Christmas-Trees-Pre-Lit-Christmas-Trees/GE/h_d1/N-5yc1vZc3ypZlo/R-202352510/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051&superSkuId=203564775#.UMo9KaUyDIo

      Hope that helps!

      Delete

I read and appreciate every one of your comments. Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know what you think.