Monday, January 28, 2013

Musings on Museums, Freezer Meals, German Food, and Other Such Nonsense

If ever there was a random title for a post, this is it. A good blogger would make these totally unrelated topics into separate, self-contained posts. But I am a lazy creative blogger, so they're all dumped into one! 
I took Hunter on a field trip to our local science museum last Tuesday and, since it was a teacher-inservice day in our district, Caitlin and some friends got to go with too. It was a great day to go; we had the place to ourselves. The kids loved being able to explore the interactive exhibits without fighting the crowds.

I was apparently unimpressed by the triceratops.
{He's all right, but I'm partial to the stegosaurus.}
Whatdya think? Do I have Ms. Maroney's face down or what?

Pinterest got the best of me somehow, and I decided it would be a good idea to try my hand at freezer meals. I made 10 different dinners on Friday.
 And then fed my family Domino's for supper. 
#homemakerfail

The kids made me breakfast in bed on Saturday for my birthday. It's such a fun treat, and I always look forward to it. They also got me two new charms for my Chamilia bracelet. Love!

 My handsome boys took me out for a birthday lunch at Noodles. Their truffle mac is to-die-for good. 

 Then we all went to the Minneapolis Institute of Art for the day. I wanted to see the Terra Cotta Warrior exhibit they were hosting, but didn't buy tickets in advance and it was sold out. Boo. 
We had fun exploring the museum anyway, especially the period rooms. I like to pretend I live there and can take the splendor for granted, ala Downton's Lady Mary... "Your lot buys it, my lot inherits it."


My two rugrats wore their best hoodies for a day of culture and fine dining. Once upon a time I would have dressed them in cute outfits with fun accessories... but no more. They are way too cool for that.
Sigh.

We finished the day by having a birthday dinner with my dad and stepmom and a few cousins. We ate at one of our favorite German restaurants, the Gathaus Bavarian Hunter; I had riesling, spatzel, jagerschnitzle, and apple strudel.
The kids had chicken strips. 
So much for honoring their German heritage!
Auf Wiedersehen!
Photobucket

7 comments:

  1. Hope your b-day was spectacular, you don't look a day over 21! My boys wear there best hoodies too, their comment to me was "mom, we don't live in Georgia anymore, no one here cares how we look," Hmmmm,people in the south are a bit more preppy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kate! We were always the oddballs when the kids would be dressed up. No one in our corner of MN puts hair bows in or dresses up their kids much. Makes me wish I was Southern! That, and I could say "y'all" whenever I wanted!

      Delete
  2. My sister and I also did a pinterest day making a bunch of freezer crockpot meals. Afterward, we took everyone out to eat. Thought about pizza delivery but didn't even want to deal with paperplates. Ha! Just wanted everyone out of the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lot of work, but I'm happy to have them ready for eating now! I definitely think I'll do it again when this batch is gone. :)

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday! It sounds like you had a fun, family day. And I totally understand about the sweatshirts on the kids. My favorite is how Santa photos have changed over the years - from cute outfits to sweatshirts and jeans! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Misty! I agree~ Santa photos are a perfect illustration of my kids' style evolution. Now, as long as they are comfy we're all happier. It's not worth the fight to try and get 'em cleaned up!

      Delete
  4. That art museum is one of our favorite places. My daughter also love the news anchor desk at the science museum. Hope you had a great birthday

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate every one of your comments. Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know what you think.