Thursday, January 31, 2013

Sugar and Spice Ginger Cookies

I know gingerbread cookies are usually considered a Christmas cookie, but this recipe transcends seasons. These cookies are soft and chewy, with a satisfying bite of spice. 
 They are easy too, which makes them even better in my book. I usually avoid anything that requires a rolling pin, but these are the exception to my rule. I did learn the hard way to stick with simple shapes when making them, though, as they spread quite a bit when baking. The cute forest animals I tried making once all came out as unidentifiable blobs. 
Hearts, stars, and other basic shapes work beautifully.
This recipe is originally from Kraft.

You'll need:
3/4 cup butter {room temp.}
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 {3.4 oz.} package instant butterscotch pudding mix
1 egg
2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 Tbsp. ground ginger
1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
Beat butter, sugar, pudding mix and egg in large bowl with electric mixer till well blended. Combine remaining ingredients in separate bowl. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating well after each addition. Refrigerate dough for 1 hour, or till firm.
Heat oven to 350. 
Roll dough onto lightly floured surface to about 1/4" thickness. Cut into desired shapes. Place onto parchment lined baking sheets. 
Bake 10-12 minutes, or till edges are slightly browned. Cool on baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring to wire rack. Cool completely before decorating. I used royal icing, applied with a very inexpert hand. No one seemed to mind.
Photobucket
I'll be linking up here:
My Romantic Home
The Shabby Nest

2 comments:

  1. My mouth is watering! I must make!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look yummy! I've never seen gingerbread/ginger cookies made with pudding...I'll be interested to try it out! :)

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate every one of your comments. Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know what you think.