Thursday, January 17, 2013

Valentine Vignette

For many years, I suffered from an aversion to all things Valentine-y. Working as a floral designer will do that to a person. In a flower shop, the weeks leading up to February 14th are so saturated with roses, chocolates, roses, cupids, hearts, and more roses, that it was hard to enjoy any fun Valentine-decor in my own home.
Fortunately, I have gotten over my anti-amore tendencies and can know embrace it "whole-heartedly."
{I big puffy heart puns, by the way!} 


I've never decorated the open shelving in our kitchen before. It is usually home to my big mixing bowls and various household detritus. When I cleared them off for this project I found no less than one broken door knob, two paper clips, a dry-erase marker, and an earring. It was high time to do a bit of sprucing up!

 You may have noticed the happy couple in the photo on the top shelf... that's Chris and I on the day we eloped, nearly 14 years ago. We ran away to Hawaii and got married on a beach in Maui at sunset. It was quite romantic.
 I felt morally obligated to put a bowl of {boring} fruit next to the platter of {sweet, delicious, mouthwatering} cookies.  It's good to have options, but I make no promises that the cookies will still be there when the kids get home.
Photobucket
I'm linking up here:
My Romantic Home
Jennifer Rizzo
Shabby Nest
Creative Cain Cabin
Savvy Southern Style
French Country Cottage

16 comments:

  1. I'm glad you decided to decorate your shelves...they look great! Hugs, Penny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Penny! I am enjoying them so much, I think it will become a regular thing. My kids always get excited about different seasonal decorations too, so that makes it even more fun. :)

      Delete
  2. This looks so pretty. It kind of makes me want to take everything off my kitchen shelves and make them valentiny. Such inspiration!

    Wish I had eloped.
    ~FringeGirl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The elopement saved us a lot of planning headaches, but it felt kind of surreal to get married without our family there. We had a big party when we got home to make up for it though!

      Delete
  3. Since you're the one next to me on Show & Tell Friday on Romantic Home I simply had to visit with you, sugar. I read your About Me page and you're doing the magnificent thing staying home with your babies. No success can compensate for failure in the home. Wishing you well, sweet mom.
    xoxo,
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Connie! {My mom's name is Connie, by the way, so that name is dear to my heart!} Thanks for stopping by and for your sweet words. I love new visitors and will definitely be checking out your blog in return!

      Delete
  4. very cute! you always put together such cute stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Melodee! That is very sweet! :)

      Delete
  5. You have quite the pretty holiday collections, don't you? I love your arrangements!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best part... the wreath, heart plates, and dangly-heart-thingy were all post-Valentine clearance scores from Target a year or two ago. Cute and cheap~ love it when that happens!

      Delete
  6. Beautiful!!! Makes me happy just looking at this.
    http://shannonhearts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute valentine vignette!! Very cheerful!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your shelves turned out beautiful:) Thank you for linking them up a the Cabin. I became your newest follower today:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dawn! I'm so glad to have you as a follower. I've been a follower of your blog for a long time and always love your fun posts!

      Delete
  9. Your dispaly is so charming, I love that you added a photo of yourself and hubby. It's a great touch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your Valentine shelves! And you totally made me laugh with your pun and the fruit vs. cookies . . . happy hearts!

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate every one of your comments. Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know what you think.