Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Winter Vignette and Chalkboard Art

I always enjoy the clean, simple feeling that accompanies January. It's kind of refreshing after the extravagance of the holidays, and I like my decor to reflect that. With that in mind, I've had fun creating this simple little winter vignette.

I loved the chalk art from my Tartan Apple Mantel, so I wanted to do something similar for the rest of the winter. It's not perfect, but it'll do! I just sketch out a plan for the layout ahead of time, and then use regular chalk for the outline, and go over the final result with chalk markers. The chalk markers give it a clear, bold finish, but they are a dickens to erase, so be sure you've got everything just right!


The quote is a paraphrase of this one from Edith Sitwell. It expresses my feeling about winter perfectly. The cold weather, short days, and long nights make me want to do nothing but hunker down at home with a bowl of soup and a good book. Hibernate, basically!

I used the antlers my dad gave me for Christmas and some pheasant feathers for a natural accent. Despite the fact that I used all these items in my holiday decor, I wanted this to feel winter-y, but not Christmas-y.
What do you think, does it verge on the side of Santa with the red and snowflakes? Or will it be okay for remainder of the winter?
Photobucket
I'm linking up here:

9 comments:

  1. I love it, especially the chalkboard art! It's really fabulous. You did a nice job. At first I thought it was a print.

    You've created a really pretty vignette.
    ~FringeGirl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love working on the chalkboard design. My inner-artist finally gets to come out and play!

      Delete
  2. I think some people equate winter stuff with Christmas decor no matter what. I refuse to give in to it. Winter is winter, and I'm taking it back!

    So in short, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nicole! I'm with you; let's take winter back! ;-)

      Delete
  3. You have got some crazy mad chalk skills! And yes that will last through winter and red is perfect for Valentines Day too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Misty! I love the color red, so Christmas and Valentine's colors are right up my alley.

      Delete
  4. love this! I am going to be doing a "Cheater" version of chalkboard art, for all of us inartistic types. Stayed tuned!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! You did a great job! I am hoping to do this soon. did you buy a chalk board or make your own? We are your newest followers! We would love if you checked out our blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jessie, girl you have wonderful ideas and the chalkboard looks like it belongs in a boutique. Thanks for sharing your talent at the Cabin!

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate every one of your comments. Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know what you think.