Thursday, February 21, 2013

Good Books


That's the worst part about a good book, isn't it? It's always over too quickly. When I find a good book, I tend to fly through it, neglecting all else and losing myself in the pages.
If it's a really good book though, I'll read it again and again.

Lately, I've been revisiting a few old favorites, as well as discovering some new ones.
I always have a hard time choosing new books, so I appreciate reliable reviews.
One great source for me has been this blog, Lindsay's Library. Lindsay is a regular WIWW contributor, and that's how I found her blog, but I've become a regular reader of her recommendations.
{Can I get an amen for some awesome alliteration right there?!}
I won't attempt to summarize them, as Lindsay does a great job and you can read her reviews by clicking through.
Among the gems she has led me to are:

Tasha Alexander's "Lady Emily" mysteries.
I love a good series because you always know there's more to look forward to when you finish a book.

Deborah Harness' A Discovery of Witches.
This is the first book in a trilogy, and I am currently on the waiting list at the library for book two. I hate waiting though, and may end up buying it before long!

The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton
This was the first book of Morton's that I've read, but I LOVED it, and am looking forward to reading more of her work.

When I'm between new books, I often revisit old favorites. Sometimes I read the whole thing, but more often, I open it at random and just read a chapter or two. I love the Audiobooks app, as it allows me to listen to my favorite classic books {for free!} while I do other things. I've listened to the complete works of Jane Austen, all the Anne of Green Gables books, and several volumes of Sherlock Holmes stories. Driving, cooking, and getting ready in the morning have never been so enjoyable!

What have you been reading lately?
Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Jessie, I was so thrilled to see that you mentioned my blog! I really appreciate it, and I'm glad you found some good reads through my reviews. The three you wrote about have all become favorites of mine as well, so we must have pretty similar taste!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's been great finding new books through your blog. I definitely think we have similar taste. I'm a fan of YA fantasy books as well, and I noticed you like a lot of them too. I just started reading the Percy Jackson books, now that my kids have finished them. Eragon is next on our list!

      Delete
  2. I am reading GONE MISSING. The librarian recommended it. Its not my normal type of book to read - its a mystery but so far I am enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love mysteries so I'll have to check into that one. Thanks, Kimberly! ;)

      Delete

I read and appreciate every one of your comments. Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know what you think.