Sunday, March 10, 2013

Colorful Spring Mantel


"No winter lasts forever; no spring skips its turn." ~Hal Borland

In the dark depths of a Minnesota winter, it is hard to put any faith in the truth of Mr. Borland's words.
Winter really does seem as if it will last forever. Despite the advancing days of the calendar, we are still knee deep {waist-deep in some places!} in snow and ice.
But not inside.

Inside the bright colors of spring are in bloom.

This wreath is the centerpiece of my living room mantel. I bought it from a local craft store. I couldn't resist the fun colors, playful eggs, and wild, curling tendrils of greenery.

The banner and stone bunny are both TJ Maxx finds from a few years back, and the little mushrooms are from Michael's.

I made the moss monogram several seasons ago after seeing Pottery Barn's $75 version. I think mine cost me less than $10. Sheet moss, hot glue, and a cardboard initial and ... voila~ chic on the cheap!


The colors are bright and happy- a welcome contrast to the monotonous pallet outdoors. Although I am more than ready to welcome spring, I'm afraid she will be a late arrival this year.
For now, we'll just have to pretend it's spring inside!
Is it spring where you live?
Or are you still waiting, like me?
Photobucket
I'll be linking up here:
My Romantic Home
French Country Cottage
Savvy Southern Style
DIY by Design
Ironstone Nest
Creative Cain Cabin
Between Naps on the Porch
DIY Showoff
Jennifer Rizzo

9 comments:

  1. Hi Jessie,
    It is still winter here in Chicago land too. We got 8 inches last week of snow and this week end it warmed up some and we got rain it was nice to see some of the grass under all the snow. I love your mantel and all the beautiful Spring treasures you have on it. Really pretty.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No signs of grass here yet, although we did get rain this weekend. There is so much snow it will be awhile before the grass can peek through. Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  2. All so cute, I love the bunting and the mushroom:) We just lost all our snow yesterday, I hope that is a sign that Spring is near!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dawn! Enjoy the advent of spring in your neck of the woods! I'm jealous! ;-)

      Delete
  3. I'm also in MN waiting not-so-patiently for spring. :-). What happened to the 80 degree St. Patty's Day we had last year????

    Love your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?! Even though we knew last year was a freak-spring, it still seems unfair for this spring to be so brutal, lol. Thanks for stopping by, Jen!

      Delete
  4. Cute, I love that R, I want to make some letter like that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty and oh so colorful!
    Love your mantle..well done!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the pops of color. The "Welcome Spring" banner is adorable. Just what an unending winter needs - some hope for Spring.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate every one of your comments. Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know what you think.