Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Cottage Dining Chair Makeover

These chairs have been around. I'm not sure how old they are, but they once belonged to my stepmother's grandmother. My wonderful stepmom redid them for herself and used them for many years, but they had been relegated to the basement for a long time. Then they moved to the garage. They were on their way to a bonfire when I snagged them. We had been using a mismatched bunch of garage sale and Ikea chairs, and they were definitely worse for the wear. In fact, they were so beat up we usually had to shuffle the chairs around when company came for fear that if a full-sized adult sat on some of them, they would be reduced to rubble. 
It was time for a change. When I saw these babies- six MATCHING chairs- I jumped all over them.
I brought them home and unloaded them in my garage, where they sat for the next six months. I finally got around to tackling the project... and they sat, unfinished, in my kitchen for another month.
But now they're finally done. And I love them.

Behold: the before.

And the after.
 I'm not gonna lie. There's a whole lot of wood glue and prayers keeping some of these old beauties together. That being said, they're still sturdier than what we were using. I just might have turned into the chair-police, though, as I am constantly reminding my family to be gentle with them.

I painted the chairs with Annie Sloan chalk paint in Old White and finished them with her clear wax. It was my first experience with ASCP, and I have to say, I was very pleased. Yes, it was really expensive, but I loved the ease of application and the fact that I didn't have to sand and prime beforehand. I read a lot of reviews and blog posts about ASCP before buying it. The one thing I have to say is that I didn't get the wonderful coverage so many people raved about. It took three coats to fully cover the chairs... I was literally scraping the bottom of the can by the last chair. Obviously, these chairs were stained a dark color and I was going with a very light paint, so that definitely played a role in coverage.
I will definitely use ASCP again, though. Duck Egg Blue speaks to me.
 The fabric on the cushions was a clearance find from Calico Corners. It was not at all what I was planning, but I love the simple, classic look of ticking. The only thing I don't like is the light color. Let's just say they will be getting a heavy dose of scotch-guard before we have spaghetti again.
{Ahem. Some people are messy eaters. And by some people, I mean me.}

I added the jute trim as an afterthought. Caitlin pronounced it too nautical looking, but I'm alright with that, matey. Ships ahoy!

Photobucket
I'm linking up here:
My Romantic Home
French Country Cottage
Savvy Southern Style
DIY by Design
I Gotta Try That
Creative Cain Cabin
Between Naps on the Porch
DIY Showoff
Jennifer Rizzo
Miss Mustard Seed

15 comments:

  1. Your chairs are beautiful with the flower carved into the back and I always love simple stripes.

    I started using ASCP about a year ago and love it. I just came in from the garage where I painted a new caddy (pink) in Old White and since the brush had paint on it I slapped Old White onto a galvanized bucket.

    Since I am a color girl, in addition to Old White, I always have a supply of Emperor's Red, Arles, Antibes and Greek Blue. My favorite is Antibes green especially after a waxing.

    Have fun with your chairs and your next paint project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did a great job on the chairs and they look great! But you made me want to cry ... I have a mahogany Duncan and Phyfe set in its original mahogany finish. I need to find 4 of the roseback chairs to have enough to go around my table and the only ones I've ever seen show up on CL are outrageously expensive. I keep my eyes open, but in the last week I've seen 3 different blog posts where people have painted the style of chairs I'm looking for. I'm excited for you, but pouting with jealousy over your find of these chairs. Great job!

      Delete
  2. I love the new look, my how paint sure can make a change. Love your window curtains also. Great looking space:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your chairs! They turned out fabulous and that nautical jute trim really finishes them off.

    Nice work! I'm featuring a little DIY project of my own today...not quite as labor intensive as your though.
    ~FringeGirl (thedomesticfringe.com)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ABSOLUTELY LOVE!!! I have some chairs that need a makeover....hop on down for the weekend and we can tackle together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh! Now that sounds like a fun idea! We were camping in WI last weekend and I thought of you! ;)

      Delete
  5. Good Evening Jessie, I love what you have done with these chairs....this Annie Sloan paint seems to be a winner. I love how the paint has highlighted the flower motif on the back of the chairs.
    I have not used ASCP as yet and I am probably the last person to try it..... but I am tempted.
    Best Wishes
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  6. That chair is just adorable. I have the same chair--I better get to it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I am in love, that rope detail is perfect! Great job!
    ~Katie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could not love your chairs more! The paint makes the carved details show so beautifully, and I love your fabric and rope details. Great save!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The jute trim is a super-great finishing touch. LOVE it!.... :)


    hugs xx Crystelle
    Crystelle Boutique

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your chairs came out great! the more I read and see projects using ASCP - the more I want to try it! You've inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your chairs came out amazing. I will be featuring this tonight at my Swing into Spring party that opens at 8pm EST. Please stop by and pick up an I've Been Featured button. Thanks. http://diybydesign.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Different ranges have make it easy to have ones own choice.Bedroom Furniture Online

    ReplyDelete
  13. You really did a great job by posting about the Cottage Dining Chair Makeover.Thanks for your great information.

    http://ezmodfurniture.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate every one of your comments. Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know what you think.