Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Easy Caramel Apple Tart

I love to bake, but there is one thing I have yet to master: pastry crust. I just never seem to get it right, and I've pretty much given up trying. I usually keep a box of frozen pie crusts on hand for pie-related emergencies.
 {What? You don't have pie emergencies?} 

I had planned to make an all-American apple pie for Memorial Day, but when I saw this simple recipe, I was inspired to tweak it a bit. The result was weeknight simple, but oh-so-yummy.
{This recipe is modified from one I found on the back of a can of pie-filling.}

You'll need:
1 (15 oz.) box of refrigerated pie crust
1 (8 oz.) package of cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 (21 oz.) can of apple pie filling
About one dozen individually wrapped caramels
1T. heavy cream {+more, as needed}


Heat oven to 375.
Unroll one crust in center of un-greased baking sheet.
Place second crust flat over the first, matching edges and pinching to seal edges.
With a rolling pin, shape into 14" round.
Fold over 1/2" of crust border, to form an edge. Press to seal seam.
Prick crust with fork.
Bake 20-25 minutes, or till golden-brown.
Cool completely before adding toppings.
~While the crust is baking~
Mix cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla in a medium bowl with electric mixer till well combined.
In a separate, small bowl, combine caramels and heavy cream. Melt in microwave, check and stir frequently to avoid scorching. {My caramel got a wee bit scorched, but I was not about to waste it. Hence the brown bits. They add flavor.} 
Spread cream cheese mixture evenly over cooled crust.
Spread pie filling over cream cheese mixture.
Drizzle caramel over the top.

*Best if eaten right away, but it can be stored in fridge. 
This recipe is fast, easy, and very flexible. It can be as fancy as you want it to be. If you are an awesome pastry maker, by all means, whip up your own light and flaky crust. Use fresh apples. Or strawberries. Or peaches. Try it with a bit of whip cream or some coffee and ice cream. The possibilities are endless!

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. That looks so wonderful!

    I cannot bake pie crust. I've messed it up so many times and had to run to the store last minute that now, I just buy crust. It's way easier. If I'm especially lazy, I just buy the whole pie. It's not usually as good though.

    ~FringeGirl

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate every one of your comments. Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know what you think.