Thursday, July 18, 2013

Board and Batten Inspiration

As I mentioned in yesterday's post, we are planning on installing board and batten in our living room. In fact, we are already half way through the project. I still have to fill nail holes, caulk some of the seams, and do all the painting... but the installation is all done. 
Before we started this project, Chris had never heard of board and batten. Obviously, he is not on Pinterest, because that place is rife with B&B DIYs {and acronyms, obvs.}.
{I've got my own board-and-batten-devoted pinboard that you can find here.}
After perusing some of our favorite inspiration pictures and tutorials, we agreed that we both prefer a chunky-style B&B like this:
{via: Love of Family & Home}
I have been in love with this image forever. The vibrant color, the bright and beautiful B&B, the gallery wall. It's perfect. So we used this as a jumping off point. I'm even seriously considering painting the wall above our B&B a blue-green color.
Maybe one of these {both from Benjamin Moore}:
Palladian Blue
Or a slightly deeper Wythe Blue
Here's Wythe Blue in another one of my favorite inspiration rooms:
{via: Four Generations One Roof}
I could leave the upper walls their existing color {Tobacco Road}, however, and save myself some trouble. I could just use the pretty blue as an accent. That would be the simple thing to do.
But since when do I do the simple thing?!
Here are some B&B walls with similarly neutral paint colors:
{via: Thrifty Decor Chick}
{via: Simplicity in the South}
{via: Blue Clear Sky}
For now, I may just stick with Tobacco Road. I think we've bitten off more than we can chew the way it is, but that's how we roll in the Ruhl house. It's the Ruhl Roll {say that 3x fast!}
What do you think? Robin's egg blue or stick with Tobacco Road?
Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. Your living room is going to be SO gorgeous! Love the look of the board and batten. It adds so much character to a room.
    ~FringeGirl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm excited/impatient to get it done. Where's my magic wand when I need it? ;-)

      Delete
  2. I love both colors, whatever you do will look wonderful. Great inspiration to pick from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dawn. I think through writing this post I realized which way I'm gonna go. Sometimes it helps to get it out on paper when making a decision like this. :)

      Delete
  3. it will look great! i love both the blues

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet surprise to see my board and batten as inspiration. Thanks for the link back too. Your current paint colour is lovely and the other colour works great as an accent. You can always change it further down the road if you get tired of it.

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate every one of your comments. Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know what you think.