Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Cottage Living Room Reveal

My apologies for the long delay between posts! It has been nearly three weeks since I posted last, but we were working hard to finish up the living room, and then enjoying a long visit from my sister and her kids. We are very happy with how everything has turned out, and it was well worth living with chaos for a month! 
So, without further delay... 
here it is!
Bright and fresh, it makes me smile every time I walk in the room. Just for comparison, here's a before shot:

We ripped out the carpet, put in new flooring, installed board and batten, added slipcovers and new pillows, and changed out the curtains.
The flooring is Allure vinyl planking from Home Depot. I can't say enough good stuff about this flooring. I absolutely love it. It's cheap, easy to install, and looks and feels like real wood. And from all the reviews I've read, it holds up to hard use- a must in our home of kids, animals, and work-boot wearing husbands.
As you can see, I kept the Tobacco Road paint on the upper wall and used White Luxury (from Behr) in a semi-gloss finish on the board and batten. We've used White Luxury on all our trim, so it flows with the rest of the house. 
I did incorporate a bit of the blue-green color I was lusting after (you can read about that here), but just in small doses. I will share the details of my custom-mixed paint color in an upcoming post. 
 Most of the accessories are things I already owned, just rearranged and repurposed. I found the bird print at Junk Bonanza a few months ago. We used to have a desk in this corner, so you can see that I didn't bother to cover the lamp cord all the way down. You couldn't see it before!
 Our awful old couch and love seat got new life with a Target slip cover and some pillows from TJ Maxx and Pottery Barn.
 The original back cushions wouldn't fit under the slip, so we just left them off, and added a few bed pillows for comfort. 
The curtains are from Target.


I kept the mantle clean and simple. The lanterns are recent finds from TJ Maxx, and they have battery powered candles. No more forgetting to blow out candles when I leave!
 I definitely still need to get an area rug to add a bit of warmth and texture. But I am okay without one for summer time. After getting rid of our yucky old carpet, it is so nice to feel that clean, smooth floor underfoot. 

This was an unplanned, but very needed update. I am so glad we just dove in and did it. I'm loving my new cottage living room!
Photobucket
I'm linking up here:
My Romantic Home
French Country Cottage
Savvy Southern Style
DIY by Design
Between Naps on the Porch
DIY Showoff
Jennifer Rizzo

20 comments:

  1. Jessie I love it!! The room is soo bright and airy now. Amazing transformation! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm about to have Allure vinyl installed in my kitchen! I love seeing yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to extend it into our kitchen now and throughout the first floor. Love it! :)

      Delete
  3. I LOVE this transformation!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this! You did such a gorgeous job on this room. Looks like it came out of a magazine. I adore that hanging star light. I've wanted one of those for years. One day I'm actually going to buy one. I don't think I ever noticed it in the other pictures of your living room, or maybe I just didn't remember. At any rate, it's lovely. All of it.

    So glad you it makes you happy.
    ~FringeGirl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your room was adorable before and precious now. You have THE TOUCH !! :)
    I, too, am adding bits of turquoise and aquas....love those colors.
    You can see some new things I picked up this week....http://sweetnothingsbj.blogspot.com/2013/08/color-me-blueor-aquaor-turquoise.html

    I absolutely LOVE your lamp....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it, it turned out just beautiful. I am sharing tonight on my FB page. Hope it sends some new friends your way:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a beauty!! Love your board and batten, and the aqua touches are just right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy! It's tempting to go crazy with the aqua, since I like it so much. But I try to moderate it! ;)

      Delete
  8. Jessie, I love how your living room turned out. The board and batten and wood flooring made such a big difference as well as the new slipcovers. The white curtains give the room a soft, airy feeling, too! I know the feeling of just loving when a room is finished! :)

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yowza! That looks amazing! So crisp and clean and the LIGHT!!! I love how much light you get! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! What an amazing redo! Your living room is so pretty! I love it! Found you through DIY By Design. Glad I did, can't wait to explore some more!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your room is lovely! The floors look great and the new board and batten is a nice treatment. I love the pops of the turqoise with white and we use those colours too. The turqouise lamp is an interesting piece -love it! I'm going to be following along now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely fabulous! The room looks so bright and fresh. The board and batten is beautiful and the colors a great.

    I am so happy to read another good review for Allure flooring. That is the direction I plan to go next summer when I pull up the carpet in my living and dining room.

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW! It looks so great! I love love love it!! Great Job!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. FANTASTIC JOB with the updated furniture arrangement and room restyle! It now looks so crisp and refreshing - PERFECT for Summertime!

    xo Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm taking notes!
    Looking to update our Cottage living room. I think it's great that you did this by yourselves, and inexpensively, too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jessie! What a difference a few changes make! I love the board and batten and love the shelf/bird lamp! It's a beautiful room. I just redid my living room and it was a dramatic change with paint color and a couple new pieces of furniture. I'm going to check out some of your other projects.

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate every one of your comments. Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know what you think.