Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Highlights of Summer

I am a bad summer blogger. Despite my best intentions, one day after another just slipped by without my ever having written a word. Now here we are at the end of August, and I'm not quite sure where the weeks went. I've spent the last few days busily prepping, planning, and preparing for the upcoming school year. One thing is for sure, I am much better prepared for this year than I was for last! 

But before we hit the homeschool books, I thought it would be fun to look back at some of the highlights of this warp-speed season. There were no big vacations or long road trips like last summer, but it was still very fun.

#1 Family Time
 Family get-togethers are always fun, but this summer's were extra special. It's very rare that all of my sisters can get together in the same place, at the same time, but we managed it this year. 
 Five girls in one family= a lot of grandkids/cousins (there is even one missing here)

#2 House Projects
 Redoing the living room was a totally unexpected, but very welcome highlight.  It makes me happy to see this sight every time I walk in the front door.

#3 Soccer and Baseball
 This was the summer of championships. As parents, we could not have had more fun watching the kids rock their individual sports. 

Caitlin's soccer team had a perfect season, and capped it off  by winning the state championship.
 Hunter's baseball team won the league championship, and Hunter was awarded the Golden Glove (he made an awesome double play).

#4 Camping!
 We love camping, but only got to go twice this summer (see above; sports are time consuming!). It was a blast, nonetheless. It's so nice to unplug and enjoy nature, even for just a few days.


#5 Minnesota State Fair
Okay, we haven't actually done this one yet, but it's on the agenda for this weekend. A trip to the state fair, in the roasting August heat, with a million other sweaty Minnesotans is the annual capstone of our summer. Fried food on a stick? Here I come!

What do you have planned for the last few days of summer?

Photobucket

1 comment:

I read and appreciate every one of your comments. Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know what you think.