Sunday, September 22, 2013

Fall 2013 Mantel

I love decorating my mantels for the seasons. I plan and dream about them for weeks beforehand, but with two on the main floor of our home {here's this year's kitchen mantel}, decorating them for each season can quickly get expensive. It's tempting to buy new decorations from year to year, but I'd quickly go broke if I did that. So this year my living room mantel isn't adorned with anything new; it's all old stuff, re-imagined.
Remember last year's Autumn Harvest Mantel? You'll recognize a lot of the same elements in this year's version. It's just pared down a bit, more in keeping with our new cottage living room look.

I kept the mirror and lanterns from our summer mantel, but the pumpkins and lush garland give it a totally different look. 
 The garland is from Michael's {last year}. I just twisted two together to make it more substantial, added the burlap ribbon and fleshed it out with odds and ends I had in my stash. A few feathers, some hydrangeas, and a few stray leaves make an old arrangement look fresh.
 The lanterns have battery-powered candles, so I can enjoy a warm glow without burning the house down.
 I glittered the pumpkins on either end a few seasons back, and they are looking a bit worse for wear. But I put their best sides forward and hoped the glitter would distract they eye from the bare spots. I almost didn't include them, but they tied in nicely with the sparkly acorns already in the garland.
 I love those little acorns. Their sparkles really pop against the subdued texture of the burlap ribbon. So fun!
 Now that I've got the fall mantels done, it's time to start planning for Christmas! 
Do you decorate for each season? Or keep it simple year-round?
Photobucket
I'm linking up here:
My Romantic Home
French Country Cottage
Savvy Southern Style
DIY by Design
Between Naps on the Porch
DIY Showoff
Jennifer Rizzo
The Inspired Room
Thrifty Decor Chick
I Gotta Try That

31 comments:

  1. It's lovely and I think the only way to go is by reusing. You did a wonderful job of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dawn, it definitely forces me to be more creative and resourceful!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful. You do such an amazing job on your mantels. I fear my mantel would just be filled with keys and change and junk.
    ~FringGirl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The garland on mine is usually hiding keys, change, various other junk!

      Delete
  3. You are so talented! You should be working for Pottery Barn! Seriously. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dream job, right?! I wonder if they have a good employee discount... ;)

      Delete
  4. Love this..know run over to WI and do my house...I am so unmotivated to switch seasons. You have such a gift!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kate! I'm always itching for fall, so I decorate early. Next time I'm in WI, I'll stop on! ;)

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous. I love your garland, it is stunning. Beautiful fireplace. I would love for you to link up to my Inspire Me party that will go live this afternoon. www.astrollthrulife.net Hope to see you there. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  6. So beautiful! I love the lushness of your garland, good idea to twine two together! I'm glad you included the two less-glittered pumpkins as you are right, they fit in perfectly. Those lanterns look very similar to ones my daughter gave me - a switch on the bottom allows for instant glow without the flame. Looking forward to your Christmas mantel - but don't go out and buy new things, you know how to work magic with the "old stuff" (checked out your last year's post, also lovely!)

    DD

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your mantle looks GORGEOUS!!! I do the same thing: buy 2 garlands and twist them together. Love the lanterns too. Came over from Susans, I posted my mantyle too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jessie,
    Your mantle looks gorgeous. Great job.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  9. The mantle looks great and those lions? That's too cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your Fall mantel, full of lush seasonal color! Happy Fall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Becca! I always love yours too; they are some of my favorites ever. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  11. I love your garland. It's so pretty and the natural elements are beautiful. I'm visiting from the Thrifty Decor Chick link party.

    Christy @ Creating a Beautiful Life

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello! I'm visiting from the mantel party and I LOVE how you've done your mantel. We must be on the same wavelength because we both have large burlap bows on the ends of our mantels! The garland has such a lush look to it and the pitcher with feathers in it is a nice touch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jane! I did a big center bow last year, so thought I'd change it up with end bows this year. Wild and crazy, right? ;)

      Delete
  13. The mantle is lovely, and I'm **with you** on the reusing. It makes it even better!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your mantel is so pretty. Love that garland and the lanterns. I decorate seasonally, but always struggle with the mantel. Thanks for the inspiration.Visiting from BNOTP Metamorphosis Monday.
    Babs
    http://babs-upstairsdownstairs.blogspot.com/2013/09/fun-fall-lampshade-magnets.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your mantel, the fullness and the use of burlap. Love!! Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful job. Love what you did with the garland, reminds me of a Pottery Barn display :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I always pour over the fall PB catalog, so it definitely inspires me!

      Delete
  17. Gorgeous mantel. I love the colors. Btw, I looked over your blog. It's really nice. New follower...look forward to upcoming posts!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fabulous mantel, love the fall pieces plus the mirror and lanterns.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love how symmetrical everything is, the burlap provides great texture, and the crowns on the lions are such a whimsical touch! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous!! Your mantel is a fall splendor, Can't wait to see what you do for Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate every one of your comments. Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know what you think.