Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Mid-Winter Living Room Refresh

I was so late in getting Christmas put away this year! Determined to avoid my usual packing method of cramming everything in too few bins, I resolved to not put it way till I could put it away RIGHT. That meant getting a lot more bins and purging the old, broken, and unused decorations. Everything got sorted, stacked, and labeled. It is a thing of beauty, I tell you. I don't know why I waited so many years to tackle that task. It feels good knowing that next year my decorations will be easy to find instead of buried in the bottom of a mislabeled, crushed cardboard box. 

Once all the holiday decor was put away, I could finally get around to refreshing the living room for the winter. I love the clean, fresh start feeling of January. It begs for greenery, so I was excited to find this boxwood wreath on clearance at Target. They had this size on sale with the Christmas decor for like $20 and an almost identical (maybe a teensy bit bigger) one at full price with their new spring line… for nearly $50. Guess which one I bought?
I'm so happy with the new rug (also from Target) that I got for Christmas. It adds a bit of warmth and texture to our cottage living room.
Speaking of texture, I kind of love the variety of it on the seemingly simple mantle. Between the old books, the burlap ribbon, and the fuzzy moss balls, there's such a nice lot of lovely contrasting textures.
On a sunny day, our living room is flooded with sunlight. It's roasting hot in the summer, but in the cold winter months, it provides the toasty warmth we all crave. Especially the dog, that's his favorite spot!
I think this mid-winter refresh will be a nice segue into the {heartbreakingly distant} spring months. For now, I'm enjoying the cleared surfaces, the touches of green, and the slanting winter light.
Photobucket
I'm linking up here:
My Romantic Home A Stroll Thru Life
French Country Cottage My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Savvy Southern Style
DIY by Design
Between Naps on the Porch
DIY Showoff
Jennifer Rizzo
Under the Table and Dreaming

16 comments:

  1. Thanks for your great information, the contents are quiet interesting.I will be waiting for your next post. redesigning home

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your room is stunning and the greenery on the fireplace looks so fresh and adds great texture to your room. Love the combination of the topiaries on the hearth and the wreath and balls on the mantel. Beautiful vignette. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marty! It's fun to decorate for the changing seasons. I so appreciate you stopping by! :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I always want my home to feel welcoming for guests. As someone who loves company, "inviting" is the highest praise I could hear! Thanks so much for stopping by, Sherry!

      Delete
  4. Your home really is gorgeous. I love the way you make things beautiful. You're extremely talented! Wish you could come to my house and help me out. :-)
    ~FringeGirl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Tricia! I wish I could come to your house too, but not because I think you need help decorating… just because I know you would have me snorting coffee out my nose with laughter!

      Delete
  5. Hi Jesse--I'm stopping by from Savvy Southern Style's link party, and am so glad I did. You are a GREAT decorator. This room is so beautiful; the green on the white is fantastic, and as you pointed out, the textures are wonderful. I'm following you and I pinned this post for future reference--thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diana! That is so sweet. I am so glad you stopped by and I loved hearing from you! Hugs, Jessie

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed your photos of your living room, I especially like the boxwood greenery on the fireplace. Also your paint color choice is very warm with the white wainscoting and white slipcovers. Would you mind sharing what color your walls are?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty, Jessie! I love your living room. I also brought out the greenery once Christmas was put away. Kind of a "I can't wait until you get here Spring!" theme!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stopping by from A Stroll Thru Life....I had to tell you how pretty your living room is! I love it! I've been looking around & pinning away all the pretty things I see here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jessie! I'm stopping by from A Stroll Thru Life's linky party and I'm so happy I did! What an inviting living room, love every detail! You've got a great eye for decorating!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous photos..!!!
    looks like an amazing collection.Brown TV Bed

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate every one of your comments. Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know what you think.