Friday, January 17, 2014

Valentine Mantel


I haven't always been the type of person who decorates for Valentine's. In fact, I used to try and ignore February 14th. It's not that I don't appreciate romance (quite the contrary, I definitely do. Chris, are you listening? Romance: good.) But after working as a florist for a half dozen years before the kids were born, I was so burned out after Valentine's Day that I wanted nothing to do with it. Valentine's Day just meant 16 hour work days, disgruntled customers whose tiny carnation bouquet wasn't quite the grand gesture their wife expected, and torn up fingers from handling hundreds {thousands?} of thorny roses.
I was a Valentine Scrooge.

Fast forward to 2014~ my kitchen is all decked out in red and hearts.
 What can I say, I'm a born romantic! 
Most of the decorations for this mantel are leftovers from Christmas. The bead garland bedecked our tree, ditto for the heart ornaments, and the pitcher of feathers graced the living room mantle. 


The wreath no longer spells out anything, like it did here but it's red ribbon transitioned perfectly into my Valentine decor.

This is the closest our poor non-functioning fireplace gets to a roaring blaze.


 I thought I was being so clever with this chalkboard fire made out of a piece of scrap plywood, but I didn't consider what it would look like from the other side of our see-through fireplace. 
It's been like that for months, and I've used several different things to try to hide it (including the "eyeliner" effect on Picmonkey to darken it in). The simple solution, of course, is just to paint the other side... 
I'll get right on that. Later...


So even though I still shudder at the thought of a dozen long stem roses, I am not averse to a few hearts in my home. Do you you decorate for Valentine's Day? Or do you leave the romance to the movies?
Photobucket
I'm linking up here:
My Romantic Home A Stroll Thru Life
French Country Cottage My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Savvy Southern Style
DIY by Design
Between Naps on the Porch
DIY Showoff
Jennifer Rizzo
Under the Table and Dreaming

13 comments:

  1. I love your Valentines look, it is just perfect and tastefully done :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessie, I love your mantel...so beautiful! Your chalkboard fire is perfect despite that one little glitch. :) How awesome to have a double sided fireplace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan! Someday we would love to get the fireplace working efficiently enough to use. I dream of eating next to a crackling fire and then enjoying it in the living room too!

      Delete
  4. I love this so much! It is beautiful,and the chalkboard thing is so smart!! Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. so darling! love the look and all of the cute red accents!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your mantel looks great, Jessie! Love that wreath!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You mantel is beautiful! Valentines is one of my favorite Holidays. Your burlap wreath is gorgeous. I did make one for my front door.

    xoxo
    Denyse

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great mantle! So festive for Valentine's day!
    And the fireplace cover is a BRILLIANT idea! Cute too!!!
    Have a very happy and creative week!!
    hugs x, Crystelle
    Crystelle Boutique

    ReplyDelete
  9. such a pretty burlap wreath
    and oh the reds

    perfect for Valentine's Day!

    would love for you to share
    at Fridays Unfolded this week!

    Alison
    Nancherrow

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate every one of your comments. Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know what you think.