Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Winter Comforts

In the midst of some of the coldest temps in two decades, there are few things that comfort like hearty food and a good book. I've found a few yummy new recipes I thought I'd share, as well as an update on what I've been reading. 

First up, the eats:
{most of these recipes I found via Pinterest, so follow along if you'd like to see more of what I'm pinning}
Olive Garden Alfredo Sauce
I LOVE pasta, and pasta with alfredo sauce is my version of heaven. I can't resist it. This recipe is super easy and soooo good. Definitely not diet friendly, but worth the calorie binge!

Lasagna Rolls
More pasta! This is just lasagna in a different shape, but for some reason my son loves it like this. He won't eat normal lasagna, but roll it up and bam! It's the best. Kids are weird.
Also? Why did I never think of boiling lasagna noodles in a skillet before? Worked way better than cooking them vertically in a pot where they got all folded up and stuck together.

Balsamic Pork Tenderloin

I've tried several different balsamic pork recipes, and they're usually all pretty good. But this one takes the prize. Delicious. Easy. Satisfying.

Now, on to the books.

I never really considered myself a fan of either YA fiction or post-apocolyptic series. But I made an exception for the Hunger Games and now I've gotten sucked into the Divergent series. 

I will say that these books feel pretty similar to the Hunger Games in a couple ways. Strong female lead characters, post-apocolyptic societies moving toward war, coming-of-age and first love themes… you get the idea. That said, I still devoured the first book (Divergent) and am nearly finished with the second (Insurgent). As with the Hunger Games, I don't like the second book as much, but I'm willing to finish the series, if only to find out what is beyond the fence outside the city. {Don't tell me if you've already read them!}

After reading Wolf Hall, I was kind of caught up in the world of Tudor England. A friend had recommended The Other Boleyn Girl to me a long time ago, but I never got around to it till last month. 
Loved it! This historical fiction novel explores the life of Mary Boleyn, who catches the eye of Henry VIII when she first comes to court as a girl of fourteen.  But when the fickle king’s interest wanes, Mary is ordered to pass on her knowledge of how to please him to her friend and rival: her sister Anne. We all know how Anne's story ends, but her journey to the executioner's block is filled with plots and power struggles, passion and betrayal.

The next book in the series, The Boleyn Inheritance, is equally good.
This time author Phillippa Gregory tells the story of Henry's fourth and fifth wives, respectively. There is drama enough in the history of this brutal period of history to make any story interesting.

That's all for today, but I'd love to hear what your favorite winter comforts are. Do you have a go-to hearty soup recipe or a book you love to curl up with by the fire? Whatever your favorite winter comforts are, I hope you're staying warm!
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Stay warm and safe enduring the Polar blast you're copping lately.

    Cee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to read Divergent too. Now, I definitely think I should. Food is my problem with winter. I cook and bake and eat and somehow when spring comes, I'm always shocked that I gained weight. What's a girl who is stuck in the cold to do?

    Hope you and your family are making the best of this deep freeze. Stay warm!
    ~FringeGirl

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate every one of your comments. Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know what you think.