Thursday, February 27, 2014

Desperation Inspiration= Chocolate Peanut Butter Krispy Bars

Everyone has a weird pregnancy-craving story, right? I couldn't get enough oranges while I was preggers with Cait, or enough ice cream with Hunter. Or enough food in general with either. {I was a very hungry, very large, pregnant lady.} For my sister-in-law, at least on one particular night, it was these bars:
We were all hanging out, watching movies and generally relaxing. It was late and cold outside. But my seven-month-pregnant sister-in-law had a sudden craving for these bars, so she decided to whip up a batch. Only she didn't have one ingredient. No one was willing to go outside, but rather than abandoning the idea, she bundled up and braved the cold, dark winter night to make a run to the grocery store. 
These bars are that yummy.

All this is to say that yesterday I had planned on making plain old Rice Krispy treats as an after school snack. But then this happened:

Someone ate  used all my marshmallows making molecule models for science.
#homeschoolproblems

No marshmallows= no krispy treats.
In desperation, I turned to my recipe box and dug out the handwritten card I had begged off my sister-in-law so long ago. That night was the first time I had ever had these little nuggets of heaven, but they've been a favorite ever since. 
And occasionally {even without hormonal cravings as an excuse} I am compelled to make them.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Krispy Treats
1 c. sugar
1 c. corn syrup
1 c. peanut butter
6 cups Rice Krispy cereal
1 package chocolate chips
smidgen of shortening
  • In a sauce pan, combine one cup sugar and one cup light corn syrup. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and stir in one cup of crunchy peanut butter. {You could use creamy, but why?} Stir it around till it's all smooth and yummy.
  • Carefully mix in 6 cups of Rice Krispy type cereal. Stir it around till its all coated and then press into a buttered 9x13 pan.
  • Pour one bag of chocolate chips into a microwave safe bowl, and toss in about 1/2 teaspoon of shortening. Heat for 1 minute, stir, then continue to heat and stir in 15 second intervals till melted. Check it often and don't let it scorch!
  • Spread that chocolatey goodness on top of your bars. Cool, slice, eat.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read and appreciate every one of your comments. Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know what you think.