Monday, March 3, 2014

St. Patrick's Day Mantel

I've never done a mantel in honor of St. Patty's Day before, but with Easter and spring both still so far, far away it felt like a good time. I was ready to bring in some green, but going for a full-on spring theme just seemed like false advertising. Especially when we set a record cold temp this morning: -20… on March 3rd.
Our pipes froze yesterday (that's never happened before in the 8 years we've lived here). Not just one faucet either- the entire house. The city service line that runs into the house actually froze because the frost is so deep. Now we have to keep a faucet running 24/7 till the frost goes out to prevent more freeze-ups. I guess I'm hoping a bit of the "luck o' the Irish" will help spring come sooner!

I stuck to the same basic formula that I used on my pumpkin and Valentine mantels. The burlap wreath is very accommodating to seasonal changes; just change out the ribbon, and Bob's your uncle. Then I searched the house for anything in one of Irelands forty shades of green. I painted the little "slainte" sign, but had everything else lying around.


One of my go-to mantel tricks is to take the dust jackets off a few hardcover books and use them on the mantel. They make great risers to add height to other elements, and they add a great pop of color. The titles don't matter to me, just the color. I think there's a few Magic Treehouse books up there now, mixed in with some C.S. Lewis and Garrison Keillor. Think color, not content!

Speaking of color, I love these stripe-y paper straws that are so popular now. For looks they are great, but not so much for drinking. The get a bit soggy after a while!  
I bought the little Belleek ornament in Ireland while on a trip with my Grandma many years ago. We had so much fun, and it makes me smile whenever I think of our trip so I like having this little memento on display. 
We attempted to erase our chalk-art fire and replace it with a pot of gold, but that fire did not want to be extinguished. I've had this issue before when using chalk markers~ they are impossible to get rid of! But from far away, it's not too noticeable. 
Caitlin and I collaborated on this little drawing. She added the leprechaun creeper… he kind of gives me the heebie-jeebies. I feel the same way about the Elf on the Shelf at Christmas time… his eyes follow you wherever you go!

 Do you decorate for St. Patty's day or go straight into spring decor? 
I'll leave you with a wee Irish blessing:
May your blessings outnumber the shamrocks that grow,
and may trouble avoid you wherever you go.
Photobucket
I'm linking up here:
My Romantic Home A Stroll Thru Life
French Country Cottage My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Savvy Southern Style
DIY by Design
Between Naps on the Porch
DIY Showoff
Jennifer Rizzo
Under the Table and Dreaming
At the Picket Fence

10 comments:

  1. What a beautiful mantel but the chalkboard display is my favorite. How stinkin cute is that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dawn! The chalkboard was definitely the most fun to do!

      Delete
  2. This is so pretty! I haven't decorated for St. Patty's but agree that I'm not exactly ready for Easter to replace the hearts. . . . . I LOVE the hydrangea blooms with the feathers. That is really pretty and will carry on for months (my kind of decorating.) I envy your mantel - ours is so narrow (three inches at its deepest) that I can't use books. I actually asked my husband what he thought of using his saw to cut come books so they'd be narrow enough to use. I'm pretty sure it was his frosty glare that froze your pipes! ;) ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too funny, Shannon! My hubby has a frosty glare too when I suggest new projects like that. I think your book idea is brilliant!

      Delete
  3. Good job! It's so pretty and festive! I have never tried it for removing chalk, but those Mr. Clean magic erasers seem to work for just about everything! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Misty! Magic erasers are usually my go-to solution too, but we were fresh out. I will definitely try them next time!

      Delete
  4. Oh I love, love, love your mantel display. How fun and so perfect for Spring and St. Patty's day. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by, Marty! I'm so glad you like my mantel- it was fun to do! :)

      Delete
  5. The White Noise App has been designed to help you get to sleep more quickly, and to help you to stay asleep for longer. white noise app

    ReplyDelete
  6. have you tried wd40 on the chalkboard?? It should get rid of the previous pic...

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate every one of your comments. Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know what you think.