Sunday, June 22, 2014

Fuel Your Family: Chocolate Almond Protein Bites

Our family takes "active" to a whole new level in the summertime. Last week, our schedule included 3 play-dates, a soccer tournament, 2 soccer games, 2 baseball games, and 2 different hockey camps, plus various practices, library runs, and errands. All that running can leave us worn out and HUNGRY, which is why I love this healthy and yummy snack.
On days when we have multiple events, I always pack a cooler with drinks and healthy snacks. I usually grab things like fruit, cheese sticks, and granola bars, but homemade energy bites are a perennial fave. I've made different versions of this recipe in the past- that's part of its beauty; it's very flexible and can be easily adapted to the ingredients you have on hand. 
The good folks at General Mills were kind enough to send me a box full of protein-packed goodies as the inspiration for this recipe (and an awesome bicycle bag that my kids quickly nabbed). I wanted to make something healthy, tasty, and simple that would help fuel my family during our busy summer.
Chocolate Almond Protein Bites
{yield: about 20 "bites"}
1 cup oats
1/2 cup chocolate almond butter
1/2 cup coarsely chopped Cheerios Protein (Cinnamon Almond flavor)
1/4 cup chopped goji berries (cranberries or raisins would also work well)
1/3 cup honey
1 T.  ground flax seed
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped almonds

Stir everything together in a medium bowl until well mixed. Cover and refrigerate for about an hour (this helps everything hold together a bit better).

Once chilled, roll into 1-inch balls. I used a cookie scoop; it worked like a charm, and I didn't get my hands all sticky. Store in an airtight container (I like to keep mine refrigerated).
 My family LOVED these things. They are a great, energy- packed snack for summer!

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. These look SO good! Can't wait to try them. Thanks for sharing. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate every one of your comments. Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know what you think.