Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Organized Camp Kitchen in a Plastic Tote

Our family loves to camp, but it can be a lot of work. Between planning, packing, loading, unloading, and setting up camp, I am usually worn out by the first evening. Last year, after a particularly chaotic packing session, we found ourselves in the woods without cooking utensils, a hammer, or bug spray. Lesson learned.

So this year, I got organized and created a camp kitchen-in-a-box, known to hardcore campers as a "chuck box."

Actually, I had never heard of a chuck box before, but Pinterest opened my eyes. We used to just throw everything into a tote, willy-nilly. But even when I remembered to pack everything, it was difficult to find and always smashed at the bottom.

There are lots of examples of fancy, ready-made chuck boxes out there, but I was looking for something cheap and simple. I used a 27-gallon heavy duty tote from Home Depot and just bought two 3-drawer organizers at Target. They work great for holding all the smaller items that sank to the bottom of the tote before.

The easiest way for me to show you everything is with a video, but I apologize for my wonky camera work and fast talking. 

 We keep non-perishable food items in here as well as supplies and utensils. I still have to add in a few things before our next trip, but it's easy to see what we need.

Everything is packed in snug and tight, so it doesn't rattle around while we're traveling. And when we get home, it goes straight back in the basement, clearly labeled and ready to hit the trails next time.
 I hope this is helpful to other campers. Having everything organized and in one spot has made camping a lot more fun and a lot less work.
Happy camping!
Photobucket
I'm sharing here:
DIY By Design My Romantic Home A Stroll Thru Life French Country Cottage My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia Savvy Southern Style  Between Naps on the Porch DIY Showoff  Under the Table and Dreaming

7 comments:

  1. Great idea!! We are planning our annual Labor Day family trip now and I have all of the supplies to make this little "camp kitchen" work just perfectly! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this idea! Perfect way to tote everything in one spot, without it moving around. Thanks for sharing the video - made it much easier to get a true picture of what I was looking at and how much can be organized into one small space. Happy camping! Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. it took me 15 minutes to find the ketchup on our last camping trip (i was cooking for 6 adults).
    wish i saw this first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, I set this up and it was perfect! Preparing meal was much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, I set this up and it was perfect! Preparing meal was much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Question, when you tip the box upright the drawers are then pointed up. Doesn't everything in them go to the back and get messed up?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Question, when you tip the box upright the drawers are then pointed up. Doesn't everything in them go to the back and get messed up?

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate every one of your comments. Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know what you think.